We are committed to making sure that Kirklees has the highest standards of connection and infrastructure, providing digital connections across the district that are reliable, competitive, long-lasting and widely available.
Improved connections help attract investment into the district, create a more attractive business offering and in turn create more job opportunities. They also mean homes have the best broadband speeds for home working, streaming, connecting multiple devices and staying connected.
These connections will make our district an even more desirable location to live, work and enjoy.
Both public and private sector investment have been used to help connect businesses and residents to fast and reliable internet. The new digital landscape will make sure our residents are well connected within their homes and provide greater opportunities for local businesses to thrive and grow.
Benefits for households
- Better quality voice calls and video chats with family, friends, work colleagues and peers
- Makes your online activities (such as shopping, banking, accessing health & leisure services, organising travel, browsing worldwide news) easier
- Improves efficiency of online entertainment (such as online gaming, social media, streaming platforms)
- Aids access to online learning and home-based working
- Improves opportunities to find employment and the option to work from home
Benefits for businesses
- Supports remote and home-based working
- Improves productivity and efficiency of online working e.g, e-consultations, marketing and education
- Higher speeds for transfer of information and data
- Enables smart business solutions/opportunities
- Reduces commuter and business travel to towns/cities
- Decreases travel time and costs
Projects in Kirklees
Fibre to the premises (FTTP)
Full fibre broadband to homes and businesses
Full-fibre broadband uses fibre optic cables to connect the telephone exchange directly to each household. It is currently the fastest and most reliable broadband on the market. The fast upload and download speeds mean multiple devices can connect, stream and be utilised without buffering or delay. This is extremely beneficial in a world where technology is ever changing and advancing and working from home is essential following the global pandemic of Covid-19
Kirklees are working with infrastructure providers to build and support a 'Full Fibre to the Premises' broadband network.
Who to contact about full fibre broadband in your area
These are the companies installing full fibre broadband networks across Kirklees.
You may have received an 'advance notification of work' letter from an infrastructure provider if work is due to be carried out in your area. Please use the contact details below if you have any queries.
Connecting our more rural areas to fast and reliable broadband
We are one of the local authorities delivering superfast broadband to residents and businesses in rural areas, in partnership with:
More information about rural broadband
Visit Superfast West Yorkshire
Project Gigabit Voucher Scheme
Homes and businesses in HD7 and HD8 areas in Kirklees such as Marsden, Golcar, Meltham, Outlane, Shepley, Skelmanthorpe and Slaithwaite could benefit from the government's Project Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme.
Under the scheme two or more rural homes or businesses with broadband speeds of less than 100 Mbps can group together to use vouchers worth £1,500 per home, or £3,500 per small to medium-sized business to support the cost of installing gigabit connections.
For more information, and to find out if you're eligible enter your postcode at Gigabit Vouchers - Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport .