The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into force on 1st October 2018. The regulations apply to the following activities:
- Selling animals as pets (Part 2)
- Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats and dogs including the provision of boarding cats in a cattery; kennels for dogs; home boarding for dogs; or day care for dogs (Part 3)
- Hiring out horses (Part 4)
- Breeding dogs (Part 5)
- Keeping or training animals for exhibition (Part 6)
Further statutory guidance including the standard conditions can be found here
Zoo and dangerous wild animal licenses are not included in these regulations.
To apply for a licence please use the relevant application form available to download on this page.
You are advised to undertake an assessment against the licence conditions prior to application or inspection. This is to prepare for your licence inspection and identify areas for improvement that you can implement in order to fully comply with conditions and/or meet the higher standards. This will improve both welfare standards and help you to achieve a higher star rating.
To assist you, self-assessment forms are available which includes guidance on how to meet each condition. It will also help to speed up the licence process if you submit any documented policies, procedures etc. with your application.
Animal boarding establishments
- Animal boarding establishments application form
- Providing home boarding for dogs self-assessment form
- Providing boarding for dogs in kennels self-assessment form
- Providing commercial day care for dogs self-assessment form
- Providing boarding for cats in catteries self-assessment form
Dog breeding establishments
Hiring out of horses
Keeping or training animals for exhibition
- Keeping or training animals for exhibition application form
- Keeping or training animals for exhibition self-assessment form
Selling animals as pets
Licensing rating appeal form
Licensing re-inspection request form
Variation to a licence request form
Fees and Charges
Contact Animal Health
- Animal Health Team
- Address Flint Street, Fartown, Huddersfield, HD1 6LG
- Phone01484 221000
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org