Kirklees libraries hold a large collection of books and other material such as maps, photographs and local newspapers relating to the Kirklees area. They also hold subscriptions to specialist information websites on behalf of their customers. There are plenty of resources to help you find information on your family and local history or trace relatives and obtain copies of certificates.
Finding library resources
The main collection of local material is held in the Local Studies Library in Huddersfield. Smaller collections are available at Batley, Cleckheaton, Dewsbury, Holmfirth and Mirfield, you can contact these libraries for details.
- You do not need to be a library member to use the Local Studies Library.
- All our material is for reference purposes only.
- There are both microfilm and microfiche viewers with the facilities to take both print and digital copies.
- The Local Studies library has a selection of books of local interest for sale.
Our equipment can be used independently and help will be provided on request, please speak to our library staff for this.
- Digital scanning is available at some libraries but is subject to copyright restrictions, format and condition of original material.
- Photocopying is available at all libraries but is subject to copyright restrictions, format and condition of original material and charges.
Some of our services are free of charge; please contact the local studies library for a full list of research and other charges.
Contact Local Studies Library
- Huddersfield Library and Art gallery
- Address Princess Alexandra Walk, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, HD1 2SU
- Phone 01484 414868
- Email email@example.com