Kirklees Council will help you if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days and you are eligible for assistance. If you are not eligible the Council's help will likely be limited to providing you with advice.

Housing advice

Help and housing advice if you are:

Help with housing costs

You might be able to apply for Housing benefit to help pay your rent. In some areas you will have to claim universal credit instead.

If you want to rent a property in the private sector, and you can't afford the bond, you may be eligible for the Bond guarantee scheme - tenants.

Waiting for benefits or wages can leave you short of money to pay your rent, food and utility bills. Find out about help available to get you through Shelter's: Cash in a crisis

Help with food, heating and clothing

Kirklees Council's Local welfare provision team run a non-cash scheme, which provides support like, food parcels, furniture and debt advice.

There are also a number of charities/organisations that help the homeless and those in various stages of poverty:

  • The Welcome Centre - provide food packs for people who have been referred to them by front line services including Huddersfield Mission and Housing Support.
  • The Huddersfield Mission - provide a cafe/drop in service for homeless people.
  • Bread of Life - a local drop in centre in Huddersfield their soup kitchen is open to all every Tuesday 2:30pm to 5pm
  • Dewsbury Minster - offers a drop in free food service Monday - Saturday 9.30am - 11am (limited to 3 people at a time)
  • St Matthews Centre - supports single homeless people with support needs
  • Basement Project - has centres in Dewsbury and Huddersfield. Offers a drop-in breakfast club in Dewsbury every Wednesday 9.30am-12pm and drop-in for basic assessment 2:30pm every Monday.
  • Fusion Housing - has offices in Huddersfield and Dewsbury offering free confidential advice on all housing and housing-related matters for people aged 16 - 30
  • Baptist Church (Drop-in), Wakefield Old Road, Dewsbury, Monday & Thursday 10am-12 noon. Offer a free meal.
  • Local organisations - Homelessness

Contact us

  • Tell us about your housing circumstances.

Clock Completing this form takes 5 minutes

Paperclip To complete this form you will need to provide your name and contact details.

After you've contacted us

We will contact you with an appointment for housing advice and an assessment of your needs.

Other ways to contact us

You can call into one of our Customer services centres or telephone us:-

To allow enough time for us to discuss your housing options with you, please attend before 4.00pm. If you come to us after this time we will only be able to give you emergency housing advice.

  • Kirklees Council Housing Solutions Service,
  • Address Huddersfield Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2YZ
  • Address Dewsbury Customer Service Centre, Walsh Building, Town Hall Way, Dewsbury, WF12 8EQ
  • Phone 01484 221350
  • Out of hours emergency service (24 hours a day) Phone 01484 414933
  • Email