Kirklees Council will help you if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days and you are eligible for assistance. If you are not eligible the Council's help will likely be limited to providing you with advice.
- Homelessness duties and eligibility criteria
- Duty to refer
- Tell us about someone sleeping rough
- Guide to renting privately
Help and housing advice if you are:
Help with housing costs
You might be able to apply for Housing benefit to help pay your rent. In some areas you will have to claim universal credit instead.
If you want to rent a property in the private sector, and you can't afford the bond, you may be eligible for the Bond guarantee scheme - tenants.
Waiting for benefits or wages can leave you short of money to pay your rent, food and utility bills. Find out about help available to get you through Shelter's: Cash in a crisis
Help with food, heating and clothing
Kirklees Council's Local welfare provision team run a non-cash scheme, which provides support like, food parcels, furniture and debt advice.
There are also a number of charities/organisations that help the homeless and those in various stages of poverty:
- The Welcome Centre - provide food packs for people who have been referred to them by front line services including Huddersfield Mission and Housing Support.
- The Huddersfield Mission - provide a café/drop in service for homeless people.
- Bread of Life - a local drop in centre in Huddersfield their soup kitchen is open to all every Tuesday 2:30pm to 5pm
- Dewsbury Minster - offers a drop in free food service Monday - Saturday 9.30am - 11am (limited to 3 people at a time)
- St Anne's Community Services - supports single homeless people with support needs
- Basement Project - has centres in Dewsbury and Huddersfield. Offers a drop-in breakfast club in Dewsbury every Wednesday 9.30am-12pm and drop-in for basic assessment 2:30pm every Monday.
- Fusion Housing - has offices in Huddersfield and Dewsbury offering free confidential advice on all housing and housing-related matters for people aged 16 - 30
- Baptist Church (Drop-in), Wakefield Old Road, Dewsbury, Monday & Thursday 10am-12 noon. Offer a free meal.
- Local organisations - Homelessness
Tell us about your housing circumstances.
Clock Completing this form takes 5 minutes
Paperclip To complete this form you will need to provide your name and contact details.Contact Housing Solutions
After you've contacted us
You will receive a telephone callback for housing advice and an assessment of your needs.