If you make, prepare or handle food that comes from animals, for example meat or dairy products, other than for direct sale to the consumer, you may need to be inspected or approved by us.

Which businesses need to register

Examples of premises which require approval include:

  • Dairies, ice cream and cheese products
  • Meat and meat product premises
  • Fish processing premises including wet fish
  • Minced meat and mechanically separated meat processing plants
  • Egg packers and egg processing premises

When you don't need approval

You don't need to be inspected or approved if you sell direct to the public or retailers like caterers, pubs and restaurants, as long as:

  • food is less than 25% of your trade
  • you don't handle any wild game meat products
  • you don't sell food outside the county your business is registered in

You must still follow the rules for controlling the temperature and storage of any food you transport

Before you apply

You'll need to provide copies of the following:

  • A detailed scale plan of the (proposed) establishment showing the location of rooms and other areas to be used for the storage and processing of raw materials, product and waste, and the layout of facilities and equipment

A description of the (proposed)

  • food safety management system based on HACCP principles
  • establishment and equipment maintenance arrangements
  • establishment, equipment , and transport cleaning arrangements
  • waste collection and disposal arrangements
  • water supply
  • water supply quality testing arrangements
  • arrangements for product testing
  • pest control arrangements
  • monitoring arrangements for staff health
  • staff hygiene training arrangements
  • arrangements for record keeping
  • arrangements for applying the identification mark to product packaging or wrapping

If you don't have electronic copies

Photos or scans of documents are acceptable, providing the relevant information is clear.

If you're unable to provide electronic versions of these documents then you cannot make an online application and you should do so by post.

How to apply for food premises approval

Download and fill in our form

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes.

Download form

After you've told us

Details of your approved food establishment will be published at Food Standards Agency: Approved Food Establishments

Contact us

  • Kirklees Council - Environmental Services
  • Address Flint Street, Fartown, Huddersfield, HD1 6LG
  • Phone 01484 414739
  • Email
Need help?
Talk to an advisor now
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for healthy living