There are plenty of walking routes and public rights of way for everybody to enjoy the views and get fit. There are also plenty of activities that everyone can join in with including grouped walks and volunteering.
Search for walking and cycling routes
- Find a route in a specific area, by distance and by difficulty.
- Includes Pathways to health and walking routes which generally take less than an hour.
- Each set of Pathways to Health has up to four different routes to follow, taking from about 15 minutes to an hour to walk.
Search through an estimated 3000 walks throughout the UK,including maps, directions and descriptions for each on the Walking Routes website.
- Search for public rights of way
- Look up the laws and rights of access
- Report issues with rights of way
Keep fit and healthy with grouped session walks, guided walks and events in Kirklees.
Short group walks
Walks of up to an hour led by a qualified, volunteer walk leader. These are great for people who have previously done little or no structured walking for their health.
- North Kirklees walking timetable
- South Kirklees walking timetable
- Castle Hill health walk
- New Mill health walk
- MacMillan Walk
- Milnsbridge Walk
Nordic or pole walking is a fun and social walking activity. Using poles provides upper body exercise and reduces the stress on knees and other joints
Walk leader training
Become a volunteer walk leader and introduce others to the benefits of regular walking. The course is free and lasts one day in which you will be provided with the skills and knowledge you need to lead health walks or establish new walks in Kirklees.
Basic Exhibition Leaders Award
Train to be able to take groups of young people walking and camping in the lowland hills of Britain. The course is open to anyone aged 18 years and up and takes eleven evenings and three weekends.
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 01484 221000
Walking and cycling framework
Kirklees Council, and partners, have an ambition to increase the numbers of people walking and cycling. The Strategic Framework supports the council's economic and joint health and wellbeing strategies and compliments a range of partner policies and strategies.