If a vehicle is untaxed, it must be declared as off-road and removed from the public highway. These vehicles are not considered to be abandoned.

Register your vehicle as off the road (SORN)

Check if a vehicle is taxed

You can check the tax status of a vehicle. You will need the registration number and make of the vehicle. If the result is SORN, then the vehicle has been registered as off the road.

Check if a vehicle is taxed

Report an abandoned vehicle if it is untaxed and has not been declared as off-road

If a vehicle is untaxed, you should contact the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) and provide the registration number, make and location of the vehicle.

Report an untaxed vehicle

You can also report a vehicle that is broken down, abandoned or causing an obstruction to the Police.

Report a crime or incident

Phone Call 101

How to report an abandoned vehicle if it is taxed

Fill in our simple online form.

Clock Completing this form takes around 5 minutes

Report an abandoned vehicle online

After you have reported it

Where an abandoned vehicle is still taxed, or untaxed but can't be removed by the DVLA, the council will work with the Police to investigate and get the owner to remove it. Reasons why a vehicle can't be removed may include where it has been set on fire, vandalised or stripped of parts. If the owner can't be traced, then other arrangements will be made to remove the vehicle.

If the vehicle is on private land there are other criteria that need to be met before the council can remove it, which means the process may take longer or that the vehicle can't be removed at all.

A vehicle that is in roadworthy condition, has tax and MOT is unlikely to be considered abandoned unless it has not been moved for a period of months.

If you provide your email address, you will:

  • receive an email confirmation of your report
  • receive an update about what has been done once action has been taken.
Digital Kirklees transaction logo
Was this information helpful?