Queen's Platinum Jubilee

Find out more about the Queen's Platinum Jubilee and the events that are taking place across Kirklees.

Hold a street party for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee

We are encouraging communities to come together and host a street party to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. You're welcome to host parties right across the bank holiday weekend, or as part of The Big Jubilee Lunch .

How to apply to have a street party

Fill in our online form.

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes

Paperclip Applications for Platinum Jubilee street parties which involve road closures are closed. If you want to organise a street party it must take place off the road. If you would like any further guidance please contact Email .

Apply to have a street party

After you've applied

  • We send details of the event to the Fire Service and Ambulance Service.
Digital Kirklees transaction logo

Contact details for organisations

Planning your street party

Plan early - get in touch with the council at least 6 weeks in advance.

Involve everyone - send early invitations to everyone in the street, including businesses so that they know what's going on.

Tell your neighbours

The council cannot give approval for road closures if there are any objections, so you must talk to your neighbours and all local business affected.

Closing a road

You need to get permission from the council. Fill in the form to request permission.

We will usually only approve closure where a signed diversion route is not required.

Road closures for national events like the Queen's Platinum Jubilee are free.

Cul-de-sacs and 'no through routes'

We will allow closures on cul-de-sacs and 'no through routes' as long as any objections have been resolved by the organisers.

When approved, the organisers must place a red and white 'Road Closed' sign and cones across the width of the closed road.

Through routes

We only allow a closure would where a suitable diversion is available.

Additional signage is required. Organisers are recommended to employ a traffic management company.

If a road is also a bus route, more detailed consultation with the council, bus operators and police is needed to assess if a closure could be allowed.

Classified roads and roads designated by the council as 'strategic' or 'traffic sensitive'

Closures are unlikely to be approved.

Access to a closed road

Emergency services must be able to get through. We advise road closures to be staffed to allow them through if necessary.

There must be unobstructed access for pedestrians and wheelchair users at all times.

Residents who do not wish to be involved cannot be refused vehicle access to their property.

If it is bin collection day, make sure your bin is in an accessible place for the refuse lorries.

Signs and barriers

Signs and barriers required for a temporary road closure must comply with Chapter 8 of the Traffic signs manual .

Signs and barriers you can borrow

The council has a limited number of these available for closing roads.

There is no charge to borrow them but you need to leave a deposit for any items borrowed.

Deposits must be paid in cash. We cannot accept cards.

What you can borrow
Item Maximum amount Deposit
Cones 25 £5 per cone
Road Closed signs 2 £20 per sign
Barriers 4 £25 per barrier
Sandbags 20 sandbags £2.50 per sandbag.

Arrange to borrow items

  1. Contact Denise Vincent:

  2. Arrange to collect the items from the highway depots at either Honley or Liversedge. Please be aware that both depots are operational depots.

    • Address Honley Depot, Huddersfield Road, Honley, HD9 6LN
    • Address Liversedge Depot, Headlands Road, Liversedge, WF15 7NT
  3. Return the items to the depot to be refunded your deposit.

If you need more items than we can lend then you

Contact a traffic management or hire company. Contact details for some local traffic management or hire companies include:

Typical signage for temporary road closures

Road closed

Place a road closed sign at each point of closure.

Road closed sign
Road ahead closed

If a road closure starts or finishes at a point which isn't a junction with another road, then a road ahead closed sign should be placed at the previous junction.

Road ahead closed sign
Diverted traffic

If traffic needs to be diverted, put diverted traffic signs along its entire length. The arrows should point out where the diversion goes.

Diverted traffic sign

Put this diversion sign at the closure start point.

Diversion sign
Diversion ends

Put this diversion ends sign at the closure end point.

Diversion ends sign

Licensing and insuring

A temporary event notice is needed if you plan to sell alcohol.

Apply for a temporary event notice

Fill in our simple form.

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes

Guidance notes for filling in the form are at the end.

Apply for a temporary event notice

After you've applied

You should keep a copy of the completed notice for your records.

You must send at least one copy of this notice to the licensing authority and additional copies must be sent to the chief officer of police and the local authority, exercising environmental health functions for the area in which the premises are situated.

Food can be served and sold up to 11pm without a licence.

A music licence isn't needed as long as:

  • your street party is a private party for residents
  • the music has not been advertised in advance to attract people or make money
  • your music is not too loud and finishes before 11pm.

Raffles don't require a licence as long as tickets are sold on the day of the draw.


The council strongly recommends getting insurance cover. Large scale events and events open to the wider public may require insurance as for the council to give approval.

A risk assessment, even for a small event like a street party, is a good idea. If possible, have someone who is trained in first aid there on the day.

What to do on the day

You need to plan:

  • seating - ask everyone to bring chairs and think about areas where children can sit
  • food - get everyone to bring food to share at set times so you can all eat together
  • decorations - you can buy, hire, or make your own
  • games - think about games people of all ages will enjoy
  • music - remember it should not be too loud and turn it off well before 11pm

Decorating and clearing up

Bunting and decorations

We do not need a formal application to install bunting and decorations on street lights as part of Platinum Jubilee street parties.

It is the organiser's responsibility to put up, look after and take down bunting after the street party has taken place so it isn't a risk to people using the area. Here is some guidance to help you:

  • Tie bunting to steel lights or trees. Do not tie it to concrete street lights as they are old and we cannot guarantee the condition of them all.
  • Tie it with string so it can easily be removed in an emergency.
  • If across a closed road, it must be at least 6 metres (20 feet) high but do not climb up or lean a ladder against a streetlight.

Clearing up

Event organisers are responsible for clearing up after the event.

More information

Street party or large public event

Dependent on the event in which you are organising, there are differences between whether it is a street party or a large public event.

Differences between a street party and a large public event
Street party Large public event
Who the event is for Residents and neighbours only Open to anyone to attend
Publicity To residents only Externally, for instance in newspapers
Temporary event notice Not required (unless it is intended to sell alcohol and/or have certain types of entertainment) Usually needed
Insurance Public liability insurance is optional Required
Risk assessment Should be carried out Must be carried out
Organisation Self organised by residents Best left to professional event planners