COVID-19 restrictions in Kirklees tells you more about what this means.
The council is supporting Kirklees Digital Hubs run by local community organisations to make sure that access to devices, spaces and digital skills are available to everyone.
This is to help you to access digital services to manage your money, health, housing, leisure and mental wellbeing. Improved digital skills help you to be better informed, pay less for things, be more employable, feel more independent, be less isolated, and live a happier, healthier, easier life.
Device loan scheme
Chromebooks and MiFi are available for adults who are digitally excluded, to help combat loneliness, improve health and wellbeing and access learning opportunities, such as our free courses for adults.
We want everyone to understand how digital can benefit them, gain the skills and get connected. Borrowing devices can be an excellent way of trying new things and improving your skills, build your confidence and getting online. You will be better informed, more independent and less isolated.
About our Chromebooks
Your information is safe with us.
- The Chromebooks are completely free of any previous data, so it's just like taking them straight out of the box.
- Each time it is used all personal data is erased and the device is reset to protect users' information.
- Each Chromebook has a registered serial number which we can trace, so in the event of loss or theft, we can remotely lock it.
- The Chromebooks are designed and built to only accept and install software that has been approved by Google, so they are safe and secure with no need to worry about computer viruses.
Apply for a device
Our Chromebooks are free to borrow, with free data if needed. The standard loan period is three months but they can be borrowed for longer.
How to apply for a device
Fill in our simple online form.
Clock Completing this form takes around 1-2 minutes.Apply to loan a digital device
After you've applied
Your nearest Digital hub centre will contact you to discuss your needs and advise when a device will be available within 48 hours.
Help using your Chromebook
You will receive a simple user guide with your Chromebook.
Learn My Way has a range of tutorials on how to make the most of the Chromebook.
If you are not sure where to start, contact us to find out how we can help.
Digital Hub safe spaces
We have several designated spaces across Kirklees that can help you learn the skills that you need and access technology in a safe and Covid-secure environment.
- Chickenley Hub , Chickenley Community Centre, Princess Road, Dewsbury, WF12 8QT
- Ravensthorpe Community Centre , 24 Garden Street, Dewsbury, WF13 3AR
- Taleem Training and Community Centre , 36 Orchard Street, Dewsbury, WF12 9LT
- Thornhill Lees Community Centre , 53 Brewery Lane, Thornhill Lees, Dewsbury WF12 9DU
We have a number of free courses that you can access with a level to suit everyone, from beginners to intermediate through to more advanced courses.
In partnership with Kirklees College we have designed a Digital Citizen course that will take you through all the skills that you need to be digitally confident.
- Intro to IT (Beginners) - Takes you through the basics in preparation for the Digital Citizen course.
- Digital Citizen - At the end of this course you will be able to complete these 5 basic digital skills safely and with confidence:
- Handle information and content
- Perform simple basic transactions
- Know how to problem solve
- Know how to be safe and legal online
We deliver free training to staff and volunteers on how to work as Digital Champion Volunteer within the community.
We're always looking for people who can share their passion for technology and the internet - and there are always people who need your help, perhaps with learning to create an email address, shop online, use social media, or organise photos.
- You don't need to be an expert.
- Full training and support is available.
- The course covers how to inspire people in your community to use the internet, and help them to develop their digital skills.
With your support as a Digital Champion people can build their confidence to use digital technology.
By completing this course you will gain the confidence and knowledge to support your local community to go online. It will provide you with the skills to support people on a one to one basis or help small groups in our Digital Hubs. You will also come away with ideas and tips on how to help them use the internet and access other services to help support their digital journey.