Coronavirus: Financial support

We understand this is a very difficult time for many of our residents.

The coronavirus is having a significant impact on the economy and is putting a strain on all our services. As more people are forced to self-isolate, society needs more support than ever before. Our staff are doing their bit to protect the most vulnerable and to make sure essential services like bin collections and housing repairs can continue.

With this in mind, it is also important to remember that your council tax pays for essential services that we deliver to all people across Kirklees.

If you can still afford to pay your council tax, it is more important than ever that you continue to pay your bill. If you are struggling to pay your council tax or any other bills due to the impact of coronavirus, there is support available.

If you are vulnerable and require support please go to COVID-19 Community Response to find out more information

Council Tax

Council Tax Reduction

You may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction; this is a discount for working age people. It reduces the amount of council tax you pay. The size of the discount you receive depends on your income and household size.

The Government has announced that working age people already in receipt of council tax reduction will receive an additional reduction, up to £150.00, towards their total council tax bill.

If you are already in receipt of council tax reduction you do not need to do anything, we will deduct this automatically from your council tax bill.

If you are not in receipt of council tax reduction and your circumstances have changed due to the coronavirus you can Apply for a council tax reduction.

Council Tax support

If you are struggling to pay your bill, please get in touch with the Council Tax Team so that we can make sure you are getting all the support you are entitled to.

We can check your council tax charge is correct, find out if you are due any discounts or exemptions and agree an alternative payment plan.

We can also look at your arrears so that we consider everything you owe to us and avoid any extra costs of charges

Contact us

Please put COVID-19 in the subject line of your email and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Benefits and school meals

Make sure you have claimed all the benefits you are entitled to.

For working age families, this could be Universal Credit, Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Statutory Sick Pay from the DWP.

Find out what you are entitled to
Universal credit

Universal credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you're aged 18 or over, on a low income or out of work. You may also be eligible if:

To apply for universal credit, visit How to claim universal credit

If you are unable to use digital services to apply for Universal Credit, or have a question about your new claim, please call the Universal Credit Helpline on 0800 328 5644

For more advice on debt and the impact of the coronavirus go to Step Change

Free school meals support

Schools are providing shopping vouchers during lockdown. Go to free school meals to find out more information.

Free school uniforms

Uniform Exchange are providing free school uniforms. Go to Uniform Exchange to find out more information.

Help in a short-term crisis

Local Welfare Provision helps vulnerable people in short-term crisis with food and essential items.

Business support

Advice for employers and employees

If you are working, you may be worried what happens if you need to self-isolate, or if your employer has to close down temporarily.

ACAS: Coronavirus advice for employers and employees .

Coronavirus: Help for businesses and self-employed

Housing advice

Council tenants

The current global situation is having a significant impact on local lives and people are understandably concerned about their financial situation and how they will pay their rent.

We remain committed to preventing homelessness and helping to protect people from poverty.

In line with government advice, no tenants will be evicted as a direct result of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you live in a KNH property

Visit the KNH website to find out more information and how to get in touch.

For tenants supported by Pinnacle

0330 036 1517

Private tenants

The government has also announced support for tenants who live in privately rented accomodation. GOV UK: National support for private tenants


Some lenders have agreed to offer reduced payments and three-month mortgage holidays to their customers. If you are struggling to pay, contact your mortgage provider for advice.

Risk of homelessness

Immediate risk of homelessness

Anyone who is at immediate risk of homelessness should contact Housing Solutions by calling 01484 221350 or emailing

Supporting rough sleepers

Our officers have been in contact with all our local rough sleepers offering them emergency accomodation during the crisis, we are aware of a couple who have turned down this support. However if you see someone whom you think is sleeping rough, please tell us about someone sleeping rough.

Victim of domestic abuse

If you have to leave your home because of violence, abuse or threatening behaviour, get help and find a safe place to stay.

Domestic violence

Local support for people escaping domestic abuse

GOV UK: Coronavirus and domestic abuse

Debt and financial advice

Debt advice

If you are struggling with debt, a number of charities and organisations can help you.

KNH Money Advice Team (for KNH tenants) 01484 414975

Kirklees Citizens Advice and Law Centre

Step Change Debt Charity

Other financial advice