About attachment of earnings orders and what to do if you receive an order for one of your employees.

About attachment of earnings orders

  • It is an order to take money directly from the wage of one of your employees to pay off their council tax.
  • It sets out how much council tax is owed and your responsibility to comply with the order.
  • We send a copy to you, and one to your employee at their last known address.
  • We can issue two orders to be deducted from your employee's wage at the same time.

What to do if you receive an attachment of earnings order

  • Start to make deductions from your employee's net earnings.
  • Tell the employee that the deductions are taking place.
  • Stop making deductions once the amount on the order has been paid.
  • You can also deduct an additional £1 per order to cover your own administrative costs.
  • If you willingly refuse to enforce an order, we can summons you to court and you could receive a fine.

How to make payments and send a remittance

Payment following the deduction(s) must be passed to Kirklees Council by the 19th of each month, following the month in which the deduction(s) were made.

Please make payment into the Kirklees Council bank account by Bacs Payment Schemes Limited (formerly BACS) using these details:

Sort Code Account No Reference
20-43-12 23574768 Please quote your full company name followed by the letters AOE (this indicates that the payment is for Attachment Of Earnings)

In order to allocate your payments correctly a remittance must be emailed at the time of payment to: strategic.income@kirklees.gov.uk

Your remittance must include the Council Tax account number, and the amount you are paying for each account. If possible please send this in Microsoft Excel format.

If the person no longer works for you or has never worked for you

Please let us know straight away. Contact us, quoting the person's Council Tax account number.

Calculate deductions

Use this calculator to work out how much to deduct from your employee's salary.



Contact us

Was this information helpful?