It is your responsibility to make the payments for rent and other charges for your home.

Pay rent or set up a Direct Debit: Pay rent .

Paying rent by Direct Debit

Setting up a Direct Debit is easy and takes the hassle out of paying your rent, it can also help with budgeting.

Once set up, you do not need to do anything more. Just choose a regular payment day and we'll automatically collect your payment from your bank account.

No changes to amounts or dates can be made without telling you first and you can contact your bank to cancel at any time.

Problems paying your rent

Contact Homes and Neighbourhoods if you have any problems paying your rent. We have a team of friendly advisors who are here to help you.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) only applies to people of working age. If you are of pension age it does not apply unless you have a partner of working age.

With UC your housing payments are paid directly to you, not us. This means you are solely responsible for paying your rent which is a big change for many who may be used to the previous Housing Benefit system.

Managing your Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a full digital service, all Universal Credit claims are managed online.

Log on using a username and password, you can:

  • view your account
  • add or amend your details
  • add or amend changes in circumstances
  • view payment details.

Applying for Universal Credit

Apply for Universal Credit online.

To complete your application, you need:

  • An email address
  • A bank account (to receive payments)
  • A valid mobile phone number
  • Your national insurance number
  • Proof of identity - something with a photo, such as a passport or driving licence
  • Your rent details including the amount and frequency.

Apply for Universal Credit

After you have applied

You will get your first payment around 5 weeks after applying online if your application is successful.

Advance Universal Credit payments

If you have claimed Universal Credit, you may be eligible for an advance payment to make sure that your rent and other bills can be paid.

Contact Homes and Neighbourhoods if you are unsure whether you need an advance or would like to discuss this.

Was this information helpful?