Eligibility for Discretionary Housing Payment, how to claim and review process.
Discretionary Housing Payments are intended to give short-term help with rent for those who are experiencing severe financial hardship.
The government limits the funding available for DHPs each year. When the money runs out no more payments can be made. This means we must carefully consider all applications, taking into account individual circumstances to make sure we provide support for those most in need.
DHPs do not cover the cost of services charges included in your rent; these are usually things like fuel, water or food.
- be entitled to housing benefit or the housing cost element of Universal Credit
- tell us why you are suffering financial hardship due to the shortfall in your benefits
- give us a breakdown of your weekly expenditure and other information we ask for, including whether:
- anyone else in the house is able to help financially
- you have any loans or debts still to pay
- you could rearrange your finances to ease the situation
- you or your family have any special circumstances, like ill health or disability
- Download our Discretionary housing policy
Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment
Fill in our simple online form.
Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes
Paperclip To complete this form you will need; income details, costs and family information.Apply for DHP
After you’ve applied
If you are eligible, we will offer you a payment.
If we cannot confirm that you are eligible we will write to you requesting additional information.
Apply straight away. Discretionary Housing Payments usually only start from the date we get your form.
Receiving Discretionary Housing Payment
- We will write to tell you the outcome of your application.
- If your application is successful, how much you get and for how long depends on individual circumstances. This information will be included in our letter.
- DHPs are usually paid with any housing benefit you get, although sometimes we can pay a lump sum.
- DHPs can also be backdated.
- If you are unhappy with our decision you can ask us to review it. You should give your reasons and any information we have not already considered.