Back to top  
Text size

Entertainment and alcohol licences

Licensing ( Last updated - October 2014

About the Licensing Act 2003 and Licensing policy 2011-2014

Anyone wishing to provide certain types of entertainment, supply alcohol or who are involved with club premises needs to apply for:
  • either the relevant premises certificate
  • and/or a personal licence.

Premises and club premises licences

Premises licence

Premises Licence

If you wish to provide late-night refreshments and regulated entertainment, and sell or supply alcohol, you need to apply for a licence from Kirklees Council, Licencing Department

Applicants must 18 years or older. You will need to apply for a premises licence if:-

  • You do not currently have a premises licence which related to one of the licensable activities; or
  • You already sell or supply alcohol and / or provide regulated entertainment and want to change how you currently operate

You will need to make your application 2 months prior to the starting of trading or the variation of trading

  • If you require a temporary authorisation for licensable activities you can apply for a Temporary Events Notice

General licencing fee information - cheques to be made payable to Kirklees Council

Club premises licence

Club Premises Licence

A club premises certificate authorises a members' club to carry out licensable activities which are:-

  • sale or supply of alcohol to members or guests
  • provision of regulated entertainment

If you carry out a licensable club activity without a club premises certificate (or premises licence) you will be breaking the law.

If you do not presently have a club premise certificate which relates to one of the licensable activities, you will need to make application at least two calendar months from the time you make your application to the time you wish to start trading

For a new Licence or where you are requesting variation, you must advertise by displaying a notice for a period of no less than 28 consecutive days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to the relevant licensing authority

General licencing fee information - cheques to be made payable to Kirklees Council

Requesting a review of a premises licence

At any stage following the grant of a premise licence or club premises certificate, an application can be made to the licensing authority for a review of a licence or certificate where problems are occurring.

The application must be on grounds relating to one or more of the licensing objectives:

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Prevention of public nuisance
  • Public safety
  • Protection of children from harm.

Applying for personal licences

Guidance and application form

Other related forms

Relevant Authority Details for Personal Licence Holders

Kirklees Licensing Service,
Flint Street Depot,
Flint Street,

01484 456868

West Yorkshire Police Licensing,
Flint Street Depot,
Flint Street,

01484 456859

Basic Disclosure

Basic Disclosure,
Disclosure Scotland,
PO Box 250,
G51 1YU
Disclosure Scotland website
0870 6096006

The fee for a Basic Disclosure is £20.00

Personal License Holder Examination Training Centres

Woodspeen Training,
30 Market Street,

01484 429359

TLC associates,
Headway Business Centre,
Knowles Lane,
Dudley Hill,
01274 470090

CLJ Consultants,
White Lea Farm,
Freizland Lane,

07871 559441

Jane Griffiths,
Allan Fold Public House,
Warley Road,

01422 343126/367564

To become a personal licence holder you must first apply for a basic disclosure and attain one of the following qualifications

  • BIIAB Level 2 Certificate for Personal Licence Holders Accreditation No 100/4866/2
  • GOAL Level 2 Certificate for Personal Licence Holders Accreditation No 100/4865/0
  • GOAL Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holder Accreditation No 100/50401

Personal Licence

If you wish to sell or supply alcohol, you will need to hold a personal licence. To apply for a personal licence you need to contact Kirklees Council, Licensing Department.

All alcohol serving premises with a premises licence will need at least one personal licence holder – one whom will be named on the premises licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor. A personal licence holder must be:-

  • Be aged 18 or over
  • Not have forfeited a personal licence within 5 years prior to making an application
  • Not have been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence
  • Possess an accredited licensing qualification (or equivalent)

Cost – £37.00

Renewing your personal licence

  • The home office have announced that the renewal process for personal licences will be abolished in 2015 once legislation has been passed. However, if your personal licence expires prior to the new legislation coming into force, you will need renew it. The Government has introduced a reduced application process which consists of a very simple form to fill in and return to us.
  • You must renew your no late than one month before the expiry date.
  • Return your licence and card to us along with your completed application form.
  • Cost for renewal is free.
  • Application form

Temporary event notice



Consent to perform Hypnotism

Hypnotism for the purpose of this application includes hypnotism, mesmerism and any similar act or process which produces or is intended to produce in any person any form of induced sleep or trance in which the susceptibility of the mind of that person to suggestion or direction is increased or intended to be increased, but does not include hypnotism, mesmerism or any such similar act or process which is self -induced.

  • No such exhibition, demonstration or performance must take place without the written consent of Kirklees Council
  • You must supply information regarding the last three performances you have undertaken, the name of the Venue, the Date, Description of the act and the telephone number of the venue.

You must make statements to show that:-

  • You have never been refused or had withdrawn consent for hypnotism by any licensing authority.
  • That you have never been convicted of an offence
  • That you have never been convicted of an offence involving the breach of a condition, regulation or prohibiting the giving of an exhibition, demonstration or performance

There is no cost for this licence.

Sex shop and Cinema Licence

Sex shop and Cinema Licence

Sex shop and Cinema Licence

If you wish to run a sex shop - ie any premises selling sex toys, books or videos, or run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you will need a licence from Kirklees Council, Licencing Department An applicant:-

  • Must be at least 18 years old
  • Must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • Must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
  • Must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal


Licensing Office contact details

  • Kirklees Licensing Service
  • Flint Street Depot, Flint Street, Fartown, Huddersfield, HD1 6LG
  • 01484 456868