Individual Electoral Registration (IER) means that every individual is personally responsible for being on the electoral register.

You must be on the electoral register to vote in elections and referendums. Being registered also improves your chances of being accepted for a loan, mobile phone contract or bank account.

Don't forget to apply to register to vote when you move house. You need to apply to re-register when you move address. If you are not on the electoral register, you could lose your right to vote.

When to register
  • If you are not registered already, or
  • you have recently moved house, or
  • you have recently changed your name
Why register
  • If your name is not on the register you will not be able to vote.
  • You might also be refused a loan, mobile phone contract or even be turned down for a bank account.
  • You can have a say in issues that affect you.
Who can register
  • If you are 16 or older (although you cannot vote until you are 18) and a British Citizen, or
  • you are Irish, qualifying Commonwealth, or European Union Citizen living in the UK.
  • you live abroad and have been registered as a UK elector during the last 15 years. In this case you register as an overseas elector and can't vote in local elections.

Students can register at both their term time address and their home address.

How to register to vote

Go to the website

Clock Applying usually takes around 5 minutes.

Paperclip To complete the application you may need: your National Insurance number; your passport if you are a British citizen living abroad

Apply to register

After you've applied

Your name will be on the electoral register.

Check if you are registered to vote

You can Contact Electoral Services

You can also check the register at these locations: