A disabled parking marking is a rectangular shaped box that contains a symbol of a person in a wheel chair in the centre.

Anyone can park in a space with a disabled marking. However, if the procedure has been followed correctly then only vehicles with a current disabled badge can park in the space.

Markings in town centres are controlled by a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) and are legally enforceable.

Markings outside people's homes are only advisory.

Apply for a disabled parking marking

  • You do not have to pay for a disabled parking marking outside your house. The cost of providing it is met by the council.
  • It is not reserved for one person. Other disabled car users are allowed to park within it.
  • You will need; a copy of your entitlement notice for Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance from the Pensions Service or a copy of your Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI).
  • If your vehicle is kept permanently at the address you will need a copy of the vehicle registration document (V5) or a copy of you vehicle invoice if you have a motability vehicle and a current insurance certificate.

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes

Download form

After you've applied

  • An officer examines the site and assesses road safety implications. The council writes to the neighbours who will be affected by the marking and asks them if they object to a marking and also if they are prepared to keep that area of the road. If they are not prepared to do this then there is nothing we can do.
  • We will reply to you directly to confirm if you can have a disabled marking. This can take between 8 to 12 weeks.
  • If it encourages others to park in an area where they are not supposed to.
  • Where it may cause an obstruction on a narrow road.
  • When a neighbour objects to a marking.
  • If you have applied for a marking but you do not own a vehicle.
  • If you have no vehicle, but receive frequent ambulance visits.
  • These are not the responsibility of the council.
  • They have to be agreed and funded by the landowner.
  • Permission and approval should be sought from all the house holders and property owners who live on the unadopted street or road.

Contact Streetscene

  • Streetscene
  • Address Streetscene & Housing Service, Flint Street, Fartown, Huddersfield, HD1 6LG
  • Phone 01484 414700
  • Email