Who is eligible for free school meals, how to apply for them and what happens after you have applied.
Free school meals for reception, year 1 and 2 pupils
All children in Reception and Key Stage 1 (year 1 and year 2) are entitled to free school meals. We call this Universal Free School Meals (UFSM).
Consult your child's school for their arrangements for Universal Free School Meals as the process may differ from school to school.
From year 3 onwards, you must apply to claim free school meals for your children.
Apply for free school meals
Children and young people who live in Kirklees can apply for free school meals if they:
- attend full time at a local authority school or sixth form
- are under 19 years of age
and their parents or carers receive one or more of the following:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, but are not entitled to a Working Tax Credit and your annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) is less than £16,190
- Support under Part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
How to apply
Fill in our simple online form.
Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes
Paperclip To complete this form you will need both you and your partner's National Insurance Number or NASS (National Asylum Support Service) number.Apply online
After you've applied
We usually contact your child's school within 48 hours to tell them the date the entitlement to free school meals will start from.
We will also send you a letter telling you the start date of your free school meal entitlement. This is usually received within 5 working days.
In exceptional cases
For instance, if you have had a recent change of income or circumstances, we will need confirmation of your new income.
In this case, it may take up to 10 working days before you receive the letter about your child's entitlement.
We will contact you for further information if we need it.
Your application is anonymous
No one will know you have applied and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.
Other things you are entitled to
If your child is in full time education, and you receive one or more of the benefits stated above, please fill in an application form even if your child is in Reception, year 1 or year 2.
This is because they are also entitled to things like free milk, help towards school trips and other support.
If you've filled in the application, your child's school receives additional money to be able to provide these extra things. This is called the pupil premium.
Contact free school meals
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 01484 221000