For most marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days' notice at your local register office.

The notice is a legal statement showing details of your identity and the place of the marriage or civil partnership.

There are different rules for religious ceremonies .

Giving notice

You must book an appointment to give notice of marriage.

The appointment will last about 30 minutes.

You must both have lived at your usual addresses for at least seven days in the district where you wish to give notice.

The rules for getting married or forming a civil partnership may be different for non-European nationals. Contact us for specific advice based on your circumstances.


Giving notice of marriage costs £35

Book an appointment to give notice

Contact us to book

Clock Completing this form takes around 5 minutes.

Contact us

After your appointment

You must wait at least 28 days before the ceremony can take place.

The notice is displayed in the public area of the register office during those 28 days.

At your appointment

What you receive

If no legal objections are made during the 28 days:

  • We issue the authority for the marriage or civil partnership to take place.
  • You must collect the authority document and give it to the person who will conduct the cermony.

Your notice of marriage or civil partnership is valid for 12 months.

Who should attend

Ideally both partners should attend. If you visit the register office on different dates to give notice, the 28 days starts from the date of the second notice.

What to bring

You must both bring original documents - we cannot accept photocopies.

If any documents are in a foreign language, you need to provide us with a translation. The translation does not have to be done by a commercial translation service.

  • Proof of name, age and nationality. Ideally, this will be your passport, but if this is not available we need your full birth certificate (and if you were born after 1982, one of your parents' birth certificates).
  • If you have changed your name by Deed Poll we will ask to see this document.
  • Evidence of your current address issued within the last three months but not dated within the last 9 days, such as a recent utility bill, bank statement or council tax bill.
  • If either of you has been married before, either in this country or abroad, you need to show proof that you are free to marry again.
  • If you are divorced we need to see the final divorce document issued by the court which granted the divorce. For divorces granted in this country this is the decree absolute.
  • If you are a widow or widower, we need to see your late partner's death certificate.