The Health Trainer Service provides free support to adults in Kirklees, to improve your health and well-being through a variety of services:
How to refer yourself
Fill in our simple online form.
Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutesApply online
After you've applied
A Health Trainer will be in contact with you soon.
Who we help
This free service supports you to identify a plan for change and motivate you to make it happen. We support people with long term health conditions including:
- Chronic pain
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Dementia or memory loss
- Heart disease
- Mental wellbeing or depression
- Neurological conditions like Parkinson's, MS, ME or Epilepsy
- Weight Associated Health Concerns
Access individual support with a Health Trainer
Our team of qualfied Health Trainers provide encouraging, support for adults with long-term health conditions. They will meet you in the community, at your GP Surgery or at home, if you are not mobile. During 3 - 6 sessions, we will talk with you to identify what you want to change and agree practical small steps, motivating you along the way to feel healthier and happier.
At the first meeting, a Health Trainer will listen to you and help you to choose what you want to change about your lifestyle.
You may want to:-
- eat more healthy or,
- be more active or,
- help in managing stress and anxiety associated with your long term health condition or,
- get information and advice about how to manage your condition.
We can use motivational techniques and positive lifestyle changes to help you to:
- identify your health needs
- recognise the triggers that set off your condition
- care for yourself better and achieve your goals
- make changes to your life to make you healthier and happier
- help identify barriers that might prevent you from making healthier choices and look at ways to overcome them by listening, empathising and sharing information.
Access free courses
We deliver a range of free self-care courses for both adults with long term health conditions which is Expert Patients Programme and also separate Free courses for unpaid carers Looking after Me and Carer Journey Sessions. Our small group courses are tailored to give you practical help and support to manage better on day-to-day basis and the chance to talk to others in similar situations, sharing your experiences.
You can access our 2½ hour one off short sessions as well as our 7 week course (2½ hours per week), which take place in Huddersfield and Dewsbury throughout the year, with some courses being offered on an evening as well as during the day.
Relax and take control tracks
Free downloadable relax and take control tracks - to help you experience different forms of deep relaxation.
Contact Health Trainers
- Email HT.Referrals@kirklees.gov.uk
- Phone 01484 414774