Findings from this consultation are being used to develop proposals for changes to support and transport for disabled children, adults and older people. These proposals are expected to be discussed by Kirklees Council Cabinet on 23rd January 2018.
Cabinet have approved changes to the Home to School Transport service and to some support services for disabled children, adults and older people.
Key changes include:
- Changing the way that free Home to School Transport for mainstream schools is assessed. The nearest school geographically will in future be used to determine how far children need to travel to school, and whether children are therefore entitled to a free bus pass.
- Encouraging more use of independent travel training to support pupils who have additional needs with using public transport where appropriate.
- Making sure a number of Early Years settings across the district are better equipped to support children with SEND, which will help funding to go further.
- Exploring other transport options with Social Care Transport users and their families, before council-funded transport is offered.
- Continuing with overnight Short Breaks, and further developing after school services and short breaks provided in the community.
- Families in which pupils are entitled to free school meals, or where parents are in receipt of maximum Working Tax Credits, will continue to be entitled to free Home to School Transport.