There are many different types of foster placements and care homes in Kirklees, as well as support and help for both you and your carer.

What to think about

There are lots of things to think about for you living in care and for the people trying to support you. You should have a care plan to make sure you get the support you need. It is your plan and it is really important you are involved in writing it and making sure it is checked regularly. Check out the My Plans folder for advice on how to get involved in your care planning and the support that is available to you.

Visit the Who Cares Trust interactive website, if you would like advice and support as well as true stories from people who have been in care and left.

Help and support

Find out more about Kirklees' Social workers and the support, including placement support you can expect.

How will my social worker help me?

We want your placements to be happy and stable but sometimes you might need some help to work out issues with your carers or other people you live with. The Placement Support Team can provide this support for you and your carer.

Placement support introduction
How can we help you? - Placement support

Children's homes

There are five children's homes in Kirklees

Types of foster placement

There are a few different types of foster care - it can last for days, months or even years. When you go to live with a foster carer it's called a 'placement' by all the people who work with you - like your social worker, say. Foster carers have children and young people come to live in their homes as part of their family for different amounts of time.

Short term placements

Some emergency placements can become short-term placements. Short-term foster carers have a child or young person come to stay with them for a few weeks or months, sometimes longer. Children live with them until they can go home to their own family, or until they can move into a longer-term placement or a family to adopt them is found.

Long term placements

Children and young people who live with a long term foster carer are still a part of their family they were born into even if they have only see certain family members at certain times - this is called 'contact' by social workers. They usually live with their long term foster carers until they become adults and are ready to live on their own this is called living independently by social workers.

Short break placements

Short Break placements involve children and young people living with their own family or foster carers, but having short stays away at the home of another foster family. This could be for a weekend or 1 or 2 weeks at a time.

Parent and child placements

This type of placement is for a mother or father (or both) and their children. Foster carers help the parents to learn to look after their children so that the children stay safe and well.

Residential school placements

A Residential School is both a school and a home for some children and young people. It is very much like being looked after in a Children's home.

Missing from care

Going missing from care without your carers knowledge can happen for lots of different reasons and we want to be able to support you to return home safely and work with you to sort out any problems you may have that cause you to go missing.

If you are currently missing from care and would like to speak to someone; contact your Social Worker or Personal Adviser and asking for them by name or ask for the "Children Team". To speak to someone independent contact the Children's Rights Team. If you are phoning outside of office hours you can contact Kirklees Emergency Duty Service

  • Phone 01484221000 - Social worker or personal advisor
  • Phone 0800 389 3312 - Children's rights team
  • Phone 01484 414960 - Kirklees emergency duty service
  • Children's rights missing from care

It's my review

When you are in care you have a care plan and this needs to be talked about every few months - this is called your review.