We recently held a public engagement exercise to gather people's views about our proposals. Thank you to everyone who took part, we are currently analysing the feedback received and will publish a report summarising the responses in the Autumn.
You can still view our plans , but the engagement period has now closed.
Plans have been developed to make improvements to Cross Church Street, Queen Street and Queensgate where there are delays, queuing traffic and limited facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
These plans support the Huddersfield Blueprint - our 10 year vision to create a thriving, modern-day town centre - by improving access to the new Cultural Heart, Kingsgate Shopping Centre and surrounding areas.
Proposed improvements will:
- Allow people to move around and across the town more easily by bike or on foot through widened footways and linking local cycle routes
- Create a clean, attractive environment which encourages people to spend time in the town centre
- Increase the footfall in the town centre, to promote business growth and investment
- Help to link the University to the town centre
- Better manage ring road traffic
The dates below outline the proposed key milestones in which the council is currently working towards delivering this project:
|Monday 8 July 2019 - Friday 2 August 2019||Public engagement is open|
|Monday 8 July - Friday 2 August 2019||See the plans at our exhibition (unstaffed)
Piazza Shopping Centre
|Wednesday 17 July 10.00am - 2.00pm||Staffed event where you can see our plans or ask us a question
The Packhorse Centre
|Saturday 20 July 10.00am - 2.00pm||Staffed event where you can see our plans or ask us a question
The Packhorse Centre
|Friday 26 July 3.00pm - 7.00pm||Staffed event where you can see our plans or ask us a question
Huddersfield Town Hall
|August 2019 - December 2019||Detailed design and costings|
|January 2020 (subject to funding approval)||Approval to construct (Kirklees Cabinet)|
|April 2020||Funding approval (WYCA)|
|May 2020 - October 2020||Construction|
|October 2020||Scheme opens|
- Phone 01484 221000
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org