All councils in England use the same national level of care and support needs to work out if you qualify for support from us.

These guidelines are set nationally by the government and are known as the eligibility criteria.

See Carer's assessment and eligibility for support if you are a carer.

Check if you are eligible for care and support

Fill in our simple online form.

Clock Completing this form takes less than 5 minutes

Check online

This will:

Eligibility criteria

The eligibility criteria for adults with care and support needs is based on identifying how a person's needs affect their ability to achieve relevant outcomes, and how this impacts on their wellbeing.

You will be eligible for care and support arranged by the Council if you meet all three of the following:

  1. Your needs for care and support is caused by or related to a physical or mental impairment or illness.
    • This includes physical, mental, sensory, learning or cognitive disabilities or illnesses, substance misuse and brain injuries.
  2. As a result of your needs, are you unable to do two or more of these things, which we call “outcomes”.
    • managing and maintaining nutrition
    • maintaining personal hygiene
    • managing toilet needs
    • being appropriately clothed
    • being able to make use of your home safely
    • maintaining a habitable home environment
    • developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
    • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
    • making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport, and recreational facilities or services
    • carrying out any caring responsibilities you have for a child
  3. And this is having a significant impact on your wellbeing and it relates to the following areas in particular:
    • personal dignity (including being treated with respect)
    • physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
    • protection from abuse and neglect
    • control over day-to-day life (including care and support and the way it is provided)
    • participation in work, education, training or recreation
    • social and economic wellbeing
    • domestic, family and personal areas
    • suitable living accommodation
    • being involved in the community

NHS Care services

You may be eligible for funding through a health fund called Continuing Health Care This is care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for individuals who are not in hospital but have been assessed as having a primary health need.

If you think this may apply to you, you should speak to your doctor or district nurse.

Need help?
Talk to an advisor now
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for healthy living