If you are concerned about the impact which a disability can have on finances there is a range of financial support available, including benefits, tax credits, payments and discounts. You can also get independent advice about what your family may be entitled to. With the Kirklees Passport you will be entitled to discounts on many activities and services.


Alongside tax credits and child benefit, there are payments specifically for children with SEND and their carers. These include Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Carer's Allowance and Carer's Credit. Which benefits you can get will depend on the assessed needs of your child.

Personal budgets and direct payments

For those children and young people who have an EHC plan the local authority can be required to identify a personal budget. This is the notional amount of money needed to make any of the special educational provision for them as specified in their EHC plan.

A personal budget is the clear, up-front total amount of funding allocated by a particular service (social care/health/education) to meet the assessed support needs of a particular child. Families can choose to take this funding as a direct payment or ask someone else to manage the money on their child�s behalf, or a combination of the two.

A personal budget is used to purchase the services and support required by a disabled child to meet their specific requirements and to live a more independent life. It provides a family with a lot more choice and control over the services and support that will meet their child�s individual requirements in the best way.

Free school meals

You may be eligible for free school meals, depending on your family circumstances.


If your child's special needs means they need extra help with transport, or taking them out is more difficult, there are a variety of ways this can be made easier and less costly, such as:

Grants funding

There are many types of grants (money which you don't have to pay back) available to help families of disabled children. These can include, but are not limited to, holidays, housing and specialist equipment. Each grant will have different application criteria.

Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts about family life
Was this information helpful?