To renew your vehicle licence, you must first have your vehicle compliance tested at a Kirklees Council garage.
You must undertake an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and sign up to the DBS Update Service.
- Payment of £56 will be taken at the time of your renewal application submission.
- You will receive and email with a username and log-in details.
- You must log into your application, enter your personal details, and submit the form.
- Log back into your account to download your unique barcode and state which forms of ID (Passport, Driving Licence, Utility Bill etc) you will be providing for your ID check and submit your ID information. Included is a list of which Post Offices you can attend to have your ID documents checked
Please be advised it may take up to 24 hours for your barcode to be available to download.
- You can then attend your chosen Post Office, to provide the barcode and the IDs you stated on your submission. Should you not provide an exact match of ID's, the post office will not perform the ID checking service. There is an additional fee of £12.75, for this service to be paid at the post office. You ONLY pay when the ID check is complete.
- You must log back into the form and complete the declarations & consents.
- You will receive your DBS in the post and must produce this to Licensing.
- You will be required to sign up to the Update Service, paying a fee of £13 up front and annually directly to the DBS.
Failure to sign up to the update service or pay the annual fee will result in the suspension of your licence.
Make an appointment to have your vehicle compliance tested at a Kirklees Council garage
- Phone 01484 221000 - ask for Transport and select the option to book a taxi test
You can attend the garage for your compliance test up to one month before your vehicle licence expires.
Contact the garage in good time to ensure you can complete your application process before your current vehicle licence expires.
How to apply
Once you have had your vehicle compliance tested, fill in the application form and email it and supporting documents to Licensing.
Paperclip You must email these documents to Email email@example.com:
- The completed renewal application form
- A copy of your valid vehicle insurance certificate in the name of the vehicle licence holder
- A photograph of the vehicle's V5 logbook in the name of the vehicle licence holder
- A photograph of your Compliance Test Certificate from the garage test
- A photograph of your Meter Test Certificate from the garage
Clock Completing this form takes around 15 minutesDownload the renewal application form
After you have submitted the application form and documents
You will be contacted by telephone to make payment for your transferral application: Licence costs
Ultra-Low Emission Vehicles and Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
If you licence an ultra-low emission vehicle (vehicle that emits 75g/km CO2 or less), or a wheelchair accessible vehicle, it may be eligible to be licenced up 12 years old, subject to the agreement of the Licensing Group Leader. The Licensing and Safety Committee agreed the following:
The aforementioned upper age extension for ultra-low emission and wheelchair accessible vehicles was not automatic, and each case would be dealt with on its own individual merits, taking in to consideration, but not limited to, the following:
- Submission of a formal application (including fee);
- If extension was granted, the vehicle would be subject to two compliance tests per licence year;
- The vehicle had to have a full service history;
- Receipts of work/repairs undertaken on the vehicle;
- The vehicle/drivers history with the Licensing Service, including:
- If the vehicle had failed any previous compliance test;
- Complaints about the condition of the vehicle;
- Complaints about the proprietor/driver of the vehicle; or
- Any other matters considered material to the application.
- Kirklees Council
- Address Licensing Service, PO Box 1720, Huddersfield, HD1 9EL
- Phone 01484 456868
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org