If you, or someone you know struggles with everyday tasks, who are disabled, recovering from surgery or elderly there are lots of equipment available to help with daily living.

Types of equipment

Equipment to help with:

  • toileting (for example raised toilet seats and toilet surrounds)
  • bathing equipment (for example bath boards, bath seats, swivel bathers, bath lifts, bath steps, shower stools/seats)
  • kitchen equipment (for example trolleys and perching stools.)
  • lounge equipment (for example chair raisers)

Please note: You may need equipment which requires fixing e.g. to a wall or the floor. If you rent your home, you will need to check your tenancy agreement about making changes to the property and will probably need permission from your landlord beforehand.

Buying your own equipment

A lot of equipment is widely available both on the high street and online.

Online tools to help you find and buy equipment

  • Medequip - AskSARA self help guide use Ask Sara to find products and advice that make independent living easier.
  • Medequip - Manage@home have a wide range of equipment available for you to purchase directly through their website. They are the providers of equipment to Kirklees Council.

Local disability equipment shops

Alternatively, you may prefer to visit a local shop where you can try before you buy.

You can search the internet for a shop local to you.

Getting equipment from us

Finding out what you need is the first stage, and we can only offer you equipment after your needs have been assessed by an Occupational Therapist.

Following an assessment, a range of equipment to help you around your home may be provided on loan at no cost to you.

How to get an occupational therapist assessment

You can get occupational therapy free through the NHS or social services, depending on your situation.

You can:

  • speak to your GP practice about a referral
  • request an assessment from us

An occupational therapist, will visit you in your home to assess your needs and provide advice. They'll ask you questions and see how you manage in your home and see what you struggle with. You'll work out what help you need together.

How to contact adult social care services

Gateway to care is the contact for anyone that would like further information or advice on adult social care and support services available in Kirklees.

  • Contact Gateway to care
  • Phone 01484 414933
  • Opening times
  • Monday to Friday: 8am - 5pm
  • After 5pm - If your call is Urgent you can still telephone 01484 414933 as all calls are diverted to our Emergency Duty Team
  • Email
  • Address Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2YZ

Return, recycle and reuse equipment

Return unused equipment and support other people in need.

If you did not purchase your equipment and it is on loan to you, it must not be sold or disposed of. When you no longer need the equipment please contact Mediquip to arrange free collection at a time to suit you.

If you purchased your equipment and are looking to dispose of it, please visit Mediquips equipment recycling page.

Equipment drop off points

Alternatively, you may return the equipment to your local drop off point below:

Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for healthy living
Was this information helpful?