The Expert Patients Programme is a free course for anyone with a long-term health condition or illness who wishes to learn self management skills for controlling and improving their health. The courses are held locally and are tailored to the needs of the people who attend.
Fill in our simple online form.
Clock Completing this form takes around 20 minutes
Attachment You will need:
- The name, address and telephone number of your GP
After you've applied
Someone will be in contact with you soon.
How the courses will help you
The courses help people to better self manage their health condition and improve their quality of life. The courses run once a week for 2.5 hours for 7 weeks. There is a 15 minute break in each session when refreshments will be available. The courses will help you learn:
- Ways to manage your symptoms and improve how you feel
- Ways to deal with anger, fear, frustration, isolation, fatigue and depression
- Better breathing
- Action planning
- Healthy eating and nutrition
- Basic exercise, how to build your level of fitness, flexibility and strength
- Problem-solving skills in your daily life
- Ways to make informed choices
- How to make plans that work for you
- Working with your health care professionals such as GPs and district nurses
Short videos of people who have attended a course and how the Expert Patients Programme has helped them:
Joan - diabetes programme
Joan gives her experience of living with diabetes and how the Expert Patients Programme for Diabetes in Kirklees has helped her make positive changes to her life.
Joyce - diabetes programme
Joyce's experience of living with diabetes and how attending the Expert Patients Programme has helped her to better manage her diabetes.
Mohammed - diabetes programme
Mohammed describes his experience of the condition and how the Expert Patients Programme in Kirklees has helped him to better manage his condition.
Contact Expert Patients Programme
- 01484 221543