COVID-19 guidance for vulnerable people

National Lockdown restrictions will next be eased on Monday 19 July

Some changes to weddings, civil partnerships, commemorative events after a funeral, care home visits and out-of-school overnight visits begin on Monday 21 June.

COVID-19 restrictions in Kirklees tells you more about what this means.

You are no longer advised to shield

You should have received a letter explaining why you are no longer being advised to shield.

If you are aged 16 or older, you should already have been offered your first dose of the vaccine. If you have not yet received your first dose, please contact your GP.

If you already get priority supermarket deliveries, you will keep them until 21 June.

It is still recommended that you take extra precautions to protect yourself:

  • limit the amount of times you meet other people
  • reduce the amount of time you spend in places where you can't maintain social distancing

Continue to work from home if possible, but if you cannot work from home you should go to your workplace.

  • You may still be eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (furlough) and the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS). Both have been extended until 30 September.
  • You are no longer eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) on the basis of being advised to shield.

Clinically extremely vulnerable pupils and students should attend their school or other educational setting.

Clinically extremely vulnerable and clinically vulnerable people

Clinically extremely vulnerable people

You are clinically extremely vulnerable:

  • if your hospital clinician or GP had added you to the shielded patients list
  • or you are in one or more of these categories:
    • solid organ transplant recipients
    • people with cancer undergoing active chemotherapy
    • people with lung cancer undergoing radical radiotherapy
    • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma at any stage of treatment
    • people with cancer undergoing immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments
    • people having other targeted cancer treatments that can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
    • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
    • people with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
    • people with rare diseases that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID), homozygous sickle cell disease)
    • people on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection
    • people with problems with their spleen, for example splenectomy (having your spleen removed)
    • adults with Down's syndrome
    • adults on dialysis or with chronic kidney disease (stage 5)
    • women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired
    • other people also classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, based on clinical judgement and an assessment of their needs. GPs and hospital clinicians have been provided with guidance to support these decisions.
Clinically vulnerable people

Clinically vulnerable people are those who are:

  • aged 70 or over
  • under 70 with one of these health conditions:
    • chronic (long-term) mild to moderate respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
    • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
    • chronic kidney disease
    • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
    • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS) or cerebral palsy
    • diabetes
    • problems with the spleen
    • a weakened immune system as the result of conditions or medicines they are taking (such as steroid tablets)
    • seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
    • pregnant

Exercise and socialising

You can go out, but avoid busy areas and limit the amount of times you meet other people.

Exercise and socialising - Do's and don'ts
Do Don't Tips
• Ask for help to make or maintain social connections if you are feeling lonely or bored Don't meet up to socialise with other people too often Keep in social contact with a variety of family, friends and neighbours through telephone, internet and window visits
• Keep your home well ventilated
• Take exercise - at home or at permitted places - at whatever rate is comfortable and good for you
• Don't stay indoors at all times
• Don't be frightened to spend time in your garden or going to a park
Get exposure to fresh air during daylight hours - this boosts the body's natural immune system and helps you sleep better
• Keep 2m distance from people in your household if they are working outside the home or using public transport
• Ask all household members to wash their hands as soon as they come home
Don't visit anybody else's home Tell family, friends or volunteers how you are feeling


You are still advised to work from home. If you cannot work from home, you should attend work.

If you need extra support

If you need support to work at home you can apply for Access to Work.

Find out about Access to Work:

Support for disability-related extra costs of working beyond standard reasonable adjustments an employer must provide.

Access to Work

If you have concerns

If you cannot make alternative arrangements

  • Your employer may be able to furlough you under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.
  • Have a conversation with your employer about whether this is possible.


You should attend your school or other educational setting.


Stay at home as much as possible.

If you have to travel, do it outside peak hours if you can.

  • Walk or cycle if you can
  • If you can't walk or cycle, try to minimise the number of people you are in close contact with
  • Travelling by car is likely to mean you're in contact with fewer people than by public transport
  • You must wear a face covering on public transport unless you are exempt
  • Avoid sharing a car, especially with people outside of your immediate household or support bubble.

Shops and pharmacies

You may prefer to shop online, or ask others to collect and deliver shopping for you.

Shops and pharmacies - Do's and don'ts
Do Don't Tips
• Register for priority online deliveries or use Click and Collect
• Ask for help if you need it
Do not spend too much time in places where you can't maintain social distancing • Eat healthily and think about the variety of foods you want to eat
• Try new foods as well as old favourites

Ask NHS Volunteer Responders to help

They can collect and deliver shopping, medication and other essential supplies.

If friends, family and volunteers can't collect your medicines

  • You will be eligible for free medicine delivery.
  • Contact your pharmacy, tell them that you are clinically extremely vulnerable and need your medicines delivered.
  • They will arrange this free of charge.

Getting care and support

Continue to seek support from the NHS and other health providers for existing health conditions and any new health concerns.

If you do need to receive care in person, you can. Your local NHS services are well prepared and will put in measures to keep you safe.

Accessing NHS services from home

These include:

  • Ordering repeat prescriptions
  • Contacting your health professional through an online consultation.

Find out more:

Carers and visitors

Carers or visitors who support you with your everyday needs can visit. They should follow social distancing guidance where close or personal contact is not required.

Carers and visitors - Do's and don'ts
Do Don't Tips
• Know who is in your care bubble
• Ask for help if your care bubble is disrupted by self-isolation
Don't give or receive informal caring support, if it is outside of your care bubble Agree with your carers any additional precautions you all want to take

If you have an urgent medical need

  • Phone NHS 111
  • Phone For a medical emergency 999


Attending appointments - Do's and don'ts
Do Don't Tips
• Walk, cycle or go in a private car to attend appointments
• Ask for help to get to an appointment if you do not have a safe way to travel there
• Don't stop attending medical treatment, appointments or stop your regular care
• Don't stop taking medication you are prescribed
• Plan ahead for a hospital visit - make sure it's been confirmed and know which entrances are in use
• Let the clinic know that you are considered extremely vulnerable so they can explain any additional precautions

If you need a COVID-19 test

You may attend a test site, but try to attend at a quieter time or ask for a home test to be sent to you.

Get in touch with COVID-19 Community Response if you need support

Use this option if you are clinically vulnerable.

COVID-19 Community Response

Tips and advice on managing mental health concerns:

Mental health support in a crisis
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for staying healthy
Was this information helpful?