If you have been assessed as needing a care home place, you will have to pay either the full amount or a contribution towards the cost of your care. This will depend on your financial circumstances. See How to get care and support for adults.

How we work out how much you pay

If you have been assessed as needing a care home place and you have savings and property:-

  • over £23,250 you will pay the full costs of your support. We refer to people who access care services from us but pay for themselves as self funders.
  • under £23,250 you will probably have to make a contribution towards the cost of your care.
  • between £14,250 and £23,250. you will be expected to contribute £1 per week for every £250 you have over £14,250. Your charge will be based on your weekly income, and any capital above £14,250.

Following your Financial assessment you will be able to retain some money for your personal use. The amount of this personal expense allowance is determined annually by the Government. This is currently £24.90 per week.

Charges for Kirklees Council care homes

We set a weekly charge for accommodation in Local Authority care homes. This is based on what it actually costs us to run the home and is calculated using national guidance on local authority accounting.

From 10 April 2018 the maximum weekly rates charged are:-

For more information about our homes see Care homes.

Help if you don't want to sell your home

A deferred payment helps if you have to pay the full cost of your residential care but cannot afford to pay the full weekly charge because most of your capital is tied up in your home. Under the scheme, we offer you a loan using your home as security. It's not the same as a conventional loan as we do not give you a fixed amount of money. Instead we pay an agreed part of you care home bill for as long as necessary. The money is paid back to us when the money tied up in your home is released. This can mean that you don't have to sell your home in your lifetime if you don't want to.

For more information see Deferred payments scheme.

12 week property disregard

Your home's value can be disregarded for up to 12 weeks from when your care starts, or from when Kirklees Council takes over responsibility for paying your fees. This may mean you do not have to pay the full cost of your care for the 12 week period if the value of your other assets is below £23,250. This doesn't apply to second homes.

The value of your home will not be considered:

  • If the property is lived in by a spouse, partner, a relative who is over 60, a relative who is incapacitated or a child under 16 who you are responsible for supporting.
  • If we agree that the property should be disregarded because a long term carer lives there.

For more information see 12 week property disregard.

Third party top up payments

If you receive Adult Social Care funded support and it has been decided that your care and support needs will be best met in a care home, you can choose more expensive accommodation than the amount that Adult Social Care has agreed to pay.

The additional cost is known as a “Top-Up” payment and it can be paid by

  • you (“first party top ups”) in limited circumstances subject to legal restrictions
  • a family member or friend (" third party top ups")

The decision to make Top Up payments is completely optional. It is important that anyone who agrees to a Top Up arrangement understands what this involves and is certain that, if care and support costs increase, they can continue to pay the Top Up amount for as long as it is needed. In all cases the person paying the Top Up must apply to the council for agreement to do this and sign a written legal arrangement with the council.

More detailed information can be found in our leaflet Choice of accommodation and third party top up payments

NHS funded nursing care in care homes and NHS continuing healthcare

NHS continuing healthcare

If the person you care for has very severe and complex health needs, they may qualify for NHS continuing healthcare. This is an ongoing package of care that's fully funded by the NHS.

NHS continuing healthcare covers 100% of care fees for people who need full-time care primarily for health reasons, and is available whether you are in a care home, in your own home, in a hospice or somewhere else.

  • If you’re in a care home, NHS Continuing Healthcare covers all care fees, including the costs of accommodation.
  • If you’re receiving full time care at home, Continuing Healthcare covers all nursing care plus personal care (bathing, dressing, etc.) plus any household costs directly related to care needs.

NHS funded nursing care and NHS continuing care for people living in Kirklees is funded by NHS North Kirklees Kirklees Clinical Commissioning Group. Please see their webpages for more information including how to apply.

For more information see NHS Choices - NHS continuing healthcare.

NHS-funded nursing care

NHS-funded nursing care is care provided by a registered nurse, paid for by the NHS, for people who live in a care home. Your needs will be assessed to decide if you're eligible for NHS-funded nursing care. If you are funding your own care this will usually be applied for by the home, if your care is being funded by Adult Social Care they will apply for this on your behalf.

You should receive NHS-funded nursing care if:

  • you live in a care home registered to provide nursing care, and
  • you don't qualify for NHS continuing healthcare but have been assessed as needing care from a registered nurse

The NHS will make a payment directly to the care home to fund care from registered nurses who are usually employed by the care home.

For more information see NHS Choices - What is NHS-funded nursing care?

Calculating the cost of your care

Many people don't fully appreciate that adult social care is a means-tested benefit and that 56% of those requiring care will need to part or fully fund it themselves.

Find out the cost of your care with the BBC's Care cost calculator

Find personal advice on care funding

It may be helpful to seek independent financial advice to find the most suitable and cost effective solution to paying for care.

Disposal of assets

If you have given away any of your capital before entering a residential or nursing home, the law says that in certain circumstances if the local authority feels the resident has deprived himself or herself of capital to reduce their accommodation charge then they may take this capital into account as if you still owned it.

Find care homes and care at home services

Paperclip To use this search facility enter a postcode or town.

Search online

Type of care you can search for

  • Care home with nursing
  • Care home without nursing
  • Care at home
  • Shared lives
  • Supported living services

Further guidance

NHS Choices care and support guide provides national guidance on Funding Care.