Paddock War Memorial

Streetscene and Housing (carolyn.walker@kirklees.gov.uk)

Details

  • Situated at the bottom of Victory Avenue adjacent to the roundabout at Paddock Head next to the Commercial Public House
  • The period commemorated is 1914 – 1919 and 1939 – 1945 and all subsequent conflicts

    Originally a stone built shelter designed by Lunn and Lunn and built by John Radcliffe and Sons Limited stood on this site as a memory to those who gave their lives in the First and Second World Wars

    This shelter was opened on the 12th November 1960 by Mr. A. P. Nichol O.B.E and used by villages for social activities, however due to constant and severe vandalism and theft following a full consultation with local residents and the Royal British Legion it was agreed to demolish this shelter

Photos

Paddock Park War Memorial
Paddock Park War Memorial

Location by map

The marker Google marker represents the location of the war memorial in Paddock.

Inscriptions

The Inscription of this shelter read:

County Borough of Huddersfield

This shelter was erected by public subscription in

memory of those residents of Paddock who gave their

lives in Two World Wars

Opened by Mr. A. P. Nichol O.B.E on 12th November 1960

Following the demolition in the early 90s the shape of the original shelter was retained and a formal garden was created with an appropriate memorial stone with the inscription:

In memory of all those

who gave their lives

during the First

and Second World Wars

and all

subsequent conflicts.

Names and plaques