- It's Carnival time again! Come and enjoy the Carnival atmosphere! Takes place in various locations.
Now in its 29th year, Carnival is a celebration of African-Caribbean culture showcasing arts, traditions and culture through an amazing array of costumes, sounds, colourful sights, social solidarity, history, achievements and togetherness. Carnival is celebrated over two days and consists of J'Ouvert, Mas Band Parade, Stage Show and after party.
J'Ouvert - Friday 12th into Saturday 13th July, midnight to 3am
A midnight street parade from the Market Place to the Piazza, where the tradition of 'ole mas' is followed; revellers dress up as jab jabs by wearing darker costumes or smearing paint, powder, mud or oil on their bodies so they can't be recognised before dancing in streets.
Carnival Parade on Saturday 13th July, 1pm to 4pm
Masqueraders dress in an array of flamboyant costumes and parade through the streets. The procession starts at the Hudawi Cultural Centre and makes its way through the streets of Huddersfield town centre, travelling up Trinity Street and ending in Greenhead Park.
Carnival Show - Saturday 13th July, 2pm to 8pm
The Carnival Show takes place in Greenhead park. There will be two stages of entertainment and live music plus charity stalls and stalls showcasing traditional food, arts and culture.
Huddersfield Carnival is an annual event organised by the Huddersfield African Caribbean Cultural Trust (made up of volunteers from the community) in partnership with Kirklees Council. It continues to be one of the largest and most culturally diverse events in Kirklees.
To ensure the safety of those working on the event, as well as the performers and the spectators, the following road closures have been agreed for Saturday 13 July following close liaison with West Yorkshire Police and Kirklees Council's Highways Service:
From 8am to 6pm
• William St from Lower Fitzwilliam St to Beaumont St
• The entire length of Beaumont St
• Great Northern St from its junction with Lower Fitzwilliam St to its junction with Ray St
From 1pm to 4pm - Closures only in operation as the parade passes through
• Great Northern St from Lower Fitzwilliam St to Hillhouse Lane
• Hillhouse Lane from Great Northern St to Willow Lane
• Willow Lane from Hillhouse Lane to its St John's Rd
• St John's Rd from Willow Lane to John William St
• John William St from St John's Rd to Market Place
• Market Place
• Cloth Hall St from Market Place to Market St
• Market St from Cloth Hall St to Westgate
• Westgate from Market St to Trinity St
• Trinity St from Westgate to Westbourne Rd
• Gledholt Rd from Trinity St to the entrance to Greenhead Park
Around Greenhead Park
From 8am to 10pm
• Park Drive from Trinity St to Gledholt Rd
• Vernon Ave from Park Drive to Trinity St
• Park Drive South from Gledholt Rd to Park Ave
In addition, Gledholt Road and Heaton Road will be coned in order to maintain a clear flow of traffic. Please note Enforcement Officers will be in circulation throughout the event and will ticket any vehicles parked illegally/causing an obstruction.
Parking is extremely limited around Greenhead Park due to road closures and resident permit parking, it is therefore recommended you use Spring Wood car park and walk up to the park (5 to 10 minute walk).
Greenhead Park is a 5 to 10 minute walk up Trinity Street from both Huddersfield Bus and Railway Stations.
BLUE BADGE HOLDERS
There will be parking available on Park Drive (park side only) for Blue Badge holders. Please show your badge to the steward and you will be directed accordingly.