Community full menu:
Grants and funding
Apply for a green business grant
- Contact the Green Business Network to discuss your energy efficiency proposal.
Green business support and grants
Investment and Regeneration - July 2012
- It improves your reputation with your customers, employees, suppliers and the local community.
- You reduce the risk of prosecution by complying with relevant environmental legislation.
- You reduce the cost of energy, water, transport, waste disposal and packaging.
Free services for businesses
Kirklees Council offers these free services through a dedicated Environmental Business Advisor:
Free environmental audits
- A comprehensive review designed to show where you can save money and reduce your environmental impact.
Environmental management systems
- Help and advice to help your company put in an environmental management system and get accreditation to ISO14001 (an internationally accepted
environmental standard), including an initial environmental management system audit
- help identifying relevant environmental legislation
- help identifying significant impacts and aspects; and provision of key documentation.
Best practice information
- Sharing through e-updates and best practice events on particular issues
- Or through the larger Eco-Fair event designed to provide practical advice to local companies and put them in touch with local suppliers who can
- Easy to follow and sector specific, toolkits provide helpful tips and advice on how to make easy changes to reduce the environmental impact of
- Each toolkit provides suggestions on pollution prevention, reducing energy costs, renewable energy, waste management, water use, transport,
advice on sustainable purchasing and environmental training, details of current environmental legislation, funding opportunities, local recyclers
and where to go for further help.
- Available toolkits:
- Care homes
- Office based businesses
- Manufacturing sector
- Retail sector
- Hospitality sector
Business climate resilience
- Tool to support businesses to start to think about how climate change will affect their business.
- A risk assessment template, with guidance, is available which enables businesses to to identify their priority risks and opportunities.
Environmental suppliers database
- Provides contact details for local companies who can help you reduce your environmental impact in these categories:
- Renewable energy
- Energy reduction (lighting, motor control, voltage optimisation, heating, heat recovery, insulation, and more)
- Water saving
- Compressed air
- Pollution prevention
- Green building
- Details of local recyclers for:
- Paper and cardboard
- Organic waste
- Electrical equipment
- Many other materials
About green business grants
- Kirklees Council and CO2Sense are coordinating a new grant scheme to help Kirklees small businesses make long term energy efficiency savings and
help to reduce carbon emissions. A grant of up to £8,000 is available per business (subject to the business providing 50% match funding).
- This grant can be used to fund energy efficiency measures, including:
- Energy efficient lighting
- Destratification fans
- Replacement of older appliances or machinery with energy efficient models
- Installation of inverters on motors
- The grant is available through funding from the European Regional Development Fund.
To apply for the grant your business must meet ERDF eligibility criteria of employing less than 250 employees,
having a turnover of less than €50 million, not being 25% owned by other businesses,
and having received less than €200,000 in state aid in the three years prior to funding.
Applying for a green business grant
- If you are interested, please contact us to discuss your energy efficiency proposal as soon as possible.
The funding is only available for a limited period, and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- An Environmental Business Advisor from Kirklees Council will visit the company to complete an environmental audit and confirm which measures achieve
the most cost effective carbon and financial savings.
The business will then be supported to apply for the grant.
- Once the application has been received, it will be assessed and projects that are successful will have a legal agreement drawn
up before funding is released.