Housing benefit is a national welfare benefit designed to help households on low incomes to pay their rent. It is not linked to National Insurance contributions.
- rent your home. This includes boarders and people living in hotels or bed and breakfast accommodation.
- have less than £16,000 in capital, savings, shares and property, unless you are aged 60 and receive the 'guaranteed credit' of Pension Credit.
You may not qualify if:
- you live with a member of your immediate family and pay them rent or board.
- you are a student. The government expects students to use their loan to pay rent.
- we suspect you have created an arrangement to take advantage of the scheme.
We calculate housing benefit using:
- your household's size and circumstances
- your household's income, savings and capital
- the amount of rent you pay
- bedroom allowance (if appropriate)
- Local Housing Allowance Rates (if appropriate).