All schools provide a midday meal for any pupil who wants one. Primary school pupils generally pay for meals at the start of the week. All school meals are prepared using high quality, locally sourced seasonal produce and staff receive continuous training around health and nutritions. All our meals meet and often exceed the government guidelines.
Our healthy meals include
- Fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables
- Salad bar as an optional extra
- Oily fish served at least once in the two week menu
- No more than 2 deep fried items per week
- Vegetarian choices / Halal / Special diets (as per the requirements of each school)
- Wholemeal or assorted freshly baked bread without spread
- Low salt, Low sugar, high fibre products
Kirklees School Catering Service holds the Food for Life Bronze Catering Mark Award which means in addition to the above all menus:
- Contain no undesirable food additives
- Have at least 75% freshly prepared dishes
- Use meat which meets the UK welfare standards and eggs are from cage-free hens
Throughout the year Kirklees Catering offer various themed events , allowing the students to experience lunch time with a difference and try new foods. We often link these events to what is happening both inside and outside the school environment, such as the Diamond Jubilee, the Olympics, bonfire night, Chinese New Year and many more.
Primary and middle schools
Primary and middle schools serve a fully inclusive 2 course meal at a set price:
Our primary schools have the pleasure of regular visits from our mascot Munch the school meals dragon who helps to educate the children around health eating and living.
Most high schools have a food court called eat.in:
Students are able to choose from the following:
- a 2 course all inclusive meal at a set price:
- 3 different food bars selling fresh pasta with sauce, filled jacket potatoes, pizzas
- a sandwich bar selling hot and cold sandwiches from baguettes to bagels.