Adaptations to your home
What are adaptations?
Adaptations can be made to your home which promote your safety and enable you to live there more independently, whatever your disability. For example, fitted handrails, ramps, hoists or lifts providing adaptations is a joint responsibility between Adult Services and Housing.
Paying for adaptations
Financial help is available for adaptations costing more than £1,000. But the financial help we can offer will depend on the amount of income and savings you have. This applies to privately owned, rented and council properties
Qualifying for an adaptation
The conditions for approving requests for adaptation grants have been set out by the government:
- the person must be disabled
- the person must live in the area of the local authority, or be in the care of the local authority
- the adaptations must be to the disabled person's only or main residence
- the adaptations must be necessary, appropriate, reasonable and practicable
In addition to the above conditions, adaptation grants will only be awarded where Adult Services have completed an assessment which established that the adaptation is needed.
Alternatives to Adult Services and Housing provision
If you prefer, you can buy your own adaptation.
For example, where Adult Services have done an assessment but you do not meet the criteria for an adaptation.
Gateway to care have all the information you need to make an informed choice. They have information about different suppliers of stair lifts, ramps, accessible toilets, showers, baths, handrails, widened doors, lowered surfaces and sockets, and special handles.
Contact Kirklees Council - Gateway to care
- Gateway to care
- 30 Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2HG
- 01484 414933
- Text "Gateway" and your question to 07781482931
- Gateway to care enquiry form