All Kirklees residents can have a green bin for recyclables which is emptied every two weeks.
The materials are taken to our materials recycling facility in Huddersfield where they are sorted into individual material types and then they are sent to reprocessing plants to be made into new products. Sorting is done by a series of machines and by hand.
What you can put in your green bin
- Newspapers and magazines
- Junk mail and envelopes
- Telephone directories (including Yellow Pages)
- Books (remove hardback covers first)
- Plastic bottles (including pop, milk, cleaning etc)
- Drinks cans, food tins and empty aerosol cans
Please remember to rinse your plastic bottles and cans and place all items loosely in your green bin or green liner if you do not have wheeled bins (not in any other bags)
What you can't put in your green bin
- Yoghurt pots, margarine tubs, plastic trays and polystyrene
- Plastic carriers and film
- Beverage cartons
- Clothing and textiles
- Food waste
- Garden waste and wood
The items above should not be placed in your green bin or liner because they currently cannot be dealt with at the recycling plant.