The Female condom (aka Femidom) is similar to a male condom but larger and fits inside the vagina. it works exactly the same as a male condom
There is a ring around the opening end and another at the closed end. It is the closed end that is inserted inside the vagina.
It is around 95% effective in preventing pregnancies and protecting against STIs when used correctly. Unlike male condoms, they can be worn any time prior to having sex.
How to use one
Before using for the first time, please read the instructions on the packet carefully as they usually come with diagrams explaining how to insert them but if not follow this step by step guide:
- Remove the condom from the packet, taking extra care not to damage the condom with your nails, teeth or even sharp jewellery
- Squeeze the smaller ring at the closed end of the condom and gently insert it into the vagina
- Make sure the large ring at the open end of the condom covers the whole area around the vaginal opening
- When the penis enters, make sure it goes into the condom and not between the condom and the side of the vagina
- Remove the condom immediately after sex by twisting the large ring to prevent semen leaking out and gently pulling it out
- Throw the condom away in a bin, and not down the toilet
Remember! Only use condoms that have the CE mark on the packet and always check the expiry date on the condom packet before use!