If you have been assessed as needing care and support, you will have to pay either the full amount or a contribution towards the cost of your care. This will depend on your financial circumstances. See How to get care and support for adults.

There are many different care services available through us, with each service costing a different amount. There are also some services which are non-chargeable, which means there is no cost to you.

How much you have to pay

The amount you will have to pay depends on the following:

  • If the service is chargeable or non-chargeable
  • Cost of the service
  • If you are exempt from paying because of your circumstances
  • How much money you have

How we work out how much you pay

If you have been assessed as needing care and support and you have savings and property:-

  • over £23,250 you will pay the full costs of your support. We refer to people who access care services from us but pay for themselves as self funders.
  • under £23,250 you will probably have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.
  • between £14,250 and £23,250. you will be expected to contribute £1 per week for every £250 you have over £14,250. Your charge will be based on your weekly income, and any capital above £14,250.

We will need to give you a Financial assessment to look at all your money and benefits.

Paying for your non-residential care and support

Non-residential services include home care, day care and Carephone Services and home adaptations.

Chargeable services

You may have to pay none of it; some of it; or all of it. This will depend on how much money you have and if your circumstances make you exempt from the charge.

Non-chargeable services

This means that no matter how much money you have, you won't have to pay for these services.

  • Intermediate care, including Reablement service, to rehabilitate you following a hospital stay. They may also include occupational therapy and are free for up to six weeks.
  • Community equipment (aids and minor adaptations) to meet or prevent/delay needs. A minor Home adaptation is one costing £1,000 or less.
  • Financial assessments, a Care needs assessment or the preparation of a care and support plan.
  • After-care following a compulsory stay in a mental health hospital
  • Care and support provided to people with Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease (CJD)
Charging policy and fees
Calculating the cost of your care

Many people don't fully appreciate that adult social care is a means-tested benefit and that 56% of those requiring care will need to part or fully fund it themselves.

Find out the cost of your care with the BBC's Care cost calculator

Get personal advice on care funding

It may be helpful to seek independent financial advice to find the most suitable and cost effective solution to paying for care.

Benefits and entitlements

If you have to make a financial contribution toward the cost of your support, we can help you to check that you are claiming the benefits which you are entitled to.

Some of the more common benefits which can be claimed are:

  • Attendance allowance
  • Carers allowance
  • Council tax discounts, exemptions and benefits
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Disabled Persons Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits
  • Invalid Care Allowance
  • Pension Credit

Try our Benefits calculator on the Better off Kirklees this will show you the benefits you are entitled to and will help you to apply for them online.

Paying for residential care and support

Residential care and support includes care home or nursing homes. See Paying for a care home or nursing home for more information.

Further guidance

Need help?
Talk to an advisor now
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for healthy living