You may have to pay for any care services you receive. The amount you pay will depend on your circumstances, some people may qualify for financial assistance towards the cost of their care while others will pay for their care from their savings and income.

How we work out how much you pay

You need to complete an application for financial assistance, providing information about all your income, capital and some expenses.

If you have savings and property:

  • over £23,250: You will pay the full costs of your care.
  • under £23,250: You may have to pay something for the cost of your care, the Council may also contribute towards the cost of your care.
  • between £14,250 and £23,250: You will be expected to pay £1 per week for every £250 you have over £14,250. Your charge will be based on your weekly income, and any capital above £14,250
Information you will need to complete your assessment

It will be helpful to have the following information to hand before filling in the form:

Personal details

  • Client Reference (You will find this on any letters you have received from Adult Social Care Services)
  • your full name, address and telephone number
  • your National Insurance Number
  • your date of birth


This includes money in or from the following:

  • bank and savings accounts
  • stocks and shares
  • property or land that you own (excluding your main home that you live in if you are receiving care at home)
  • rental income from other properties (after tax)

You will need to specify whether these are yours or shared with someone else, as only your share is taken into account.


This includes information about your wage/salary. You will also be asked about benefits to which you are entitled even if you have not claimed them. These include:

  • Attendance Allowance, including Constant Attendance Allowance and Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Bereavement Allowance, previously known as Widow's Pension
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (Care component)
  • Employment and Support Allowance or the benefits this replaces such as Severe Disablement Allowance and Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or equivalent benefits
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment (Daily Living component)
  • State Pension
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • private pensions including occupational pensions
What is not included

We won't take into account money you earn from working – earnings are not counted towards the costs of your care and support. Nor do we count the following:

  • Direct payments
  • Guaranteed Income Payments (GIPs) made to veterans under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • The mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
  • The mobility component of Personal Independence Payments
  • Your partner's income or capital (unless, for care at home, you wish to disclose this in order to see whether additional allowance can be made)
  • Expenditure related to your disability, e.g. if you buy special equipment, food or clothing relating to your disability (for care at home)
Light touch financial assessments

If you can afford to pay the full costs of your care, you may ask us to carry out a light-touch financial assessment if you do not wish to provide full details of your finances.

Deprivation of assets

If you dispose of any capital, assets or savings before you receive support, we are required to investigate the circumstances. If we decide that a significant factor in your decision for the disposal was to avoid or reduce the amount you have to pay towards your support, this may result in the financial assessment being completed as if you still have the assets.

Complete a mini financial assessment

If you think you need help from social care services, use this Care Financial Assistance - mini assessment to find out if, or how much, you will have to pay towards the cost of your care.

ClockCompleting this form takes around 10 minutes

PaperclipTo complete this form you will need to create an account on our Better off Kirklees website. Please read the "Information you will need to complete your assessment" above before completing this online form.

Check online

Further guidance

Need help?
Talk to an advisor now
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for healthy living