Some people may struggle to be fully involved in important decisions about their lives and will need support.

Kirklees Council wants to make sure that independent advocacy is available for those who need this support and don’t have anyone appropriate to provide it.

Advocacy is useful for

Advocacy is available to some people who experience significant difficulty with understanding the care and support process and safeguarding.

  • children and young adults
  • an adult whose care and support needs are being assessed or reviewed
  • a carer whose needs are being assessed
  • people who are being assessed during a safeguarding enquiry.

If you (or someone you care for) find it hard to:

  • understand and remember important information
  • use that information in daily life, or
  • express views, wishes or feelings

An advocate can help you by

  • talking about your problems with you and thinking about what you want to say
  • going with you to appointments with professionals to make sure your views are listened to and understood
  • helping you ask questions, and raising any concerns about your care
  • helping you to complain if you are unhappy about your treatment, or the services you receive
  • putting you in touch with other organisations who may be able to help you
  • helping you get the support you need to stay safe
  • supporting you to make decisions that might be difficult within your family, maybe where there are differences in people's views
  • supporting you and your carer or family with processes, paperwork and decision making.

Advocate providers

Many people use friends and relatives as advocates, asking them to go along to meetings with them to give them support. But you might find that using an independent advocate will help you to express your views more independently.

Mental health advocates

Learning disabilities advocates

Carer's advocates

Parents of children with additional needs advocates

  • KIAS Kirklees Information and Advice Service
    • KIAS (formerly known as Parent Partnership Service) is a statutory, free, impartial and confidential service, working with Parents/Carers, Children and Young People.
    • The service offers information, advice and support relating to a child or young person's Special Educational Needs and/or disability and is available to anybody living within the Kirklees area.
    • A child or young person means aged 0-25 years

For older people

Care Act Advocacy

  • Cloverleaf Advocacy
    • The Care Act 2014 places a duty on local authorities to refer anyone undergoing a social care assessment or review that has substantial difficulty in understanding the process and no appropriate individual to represent them, to a Care Act Advocate.

Help with finding an advocate

If you would like to be put in touch with an independent advocate, you can contact Gateway to care.

Further information