The prevention, minimisation and control of the risk of health care associated infections to patients, staff, visitors and carers is a high priority for Kirklees and Wakefield Councils Public Health Services.
Infection prevention and control is about the reduction and prevention of infections in particular those that are associated with healthcare. An example of transmission is infection being spread on the hands of healthcare workers or carers.
Work in this area includes:
- Education and training in infection control
- Staff use of good hand washing techniques
- Use of alcohol hand rubs where appropriate
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (such as disposable gloves and aprons)
- Requiring and maintaining high standards of cleanliness in the environment, including equipment
- Recognition, advice, education and support with signs and symptoms of infection
- Infection Prevention and Control Audits of care provision.
- Working in partnership with Hospitals, Public Health and other government departments.
- Support to care organisations with outbreak issues.
There are several guidance documents and legal Acts that underpin the work of infection control.
Care home guidance
This policy is provided to assist care homes managers in ensuring high quality infection prevention and control (IPC) practices are undertaken within their healthcare environment premises.
- Managing medicines in care homes NICE
- Sharps waste segregation poster KC
- Antibiotic Guardian Resources Toolkit
- Catheter Care for nurses RCN
- Essential Practice for Infection Prevention and Control RCN
- Health and safety in care homes HSE
- The management of diarrhoea in adults RCN
- Prevention and control of infection in care homes DH
- The management of waste from health, social and personal cares RCN
Infection Prevention audit toolkit
- Guidelines for completing infection prevention audit tools KC
- Standard precautions audit KC
- Wound care audit tools KC
- Catheter insertion audit tool KC
- Continuing care of urinary catheters audit tool KC
- Completing feeding audit tool KC
- Pre-acceptance healthcare waste self audit tool KC
- Mattress cleaning audit tool KC
Guidance at a glance
Environmental cleaning resources and posters
- Outbreak Daily Review Care Plan KC
- Outbreak poster KC
- Care home closed poster KC
- Suspected outbreak inforamtion front sheet KC
- Outbreak details of staff affected KC
- Outbreak details of clients affected KC
- Supplementary sheet KC
- Fluid balance/stool chart KC
- The colour of urine chart KC
- Collecting a faecal sample in an outbreak KC
- Managing outbreaks of influenza in care homes pathway KC
- Kirklees and Wakefield Council Infection Prevention and Control Team
- Address Flint Street, Fartown, Huddersfield, HD1 6LG
- Phone 01484 221000
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- IPCT Twitter @IPCTinKirklees
- Infection prevention and control Kirklees and Wakefield Council Facebook Infection prevention and control Kirklees and Wakefield Council
- Public Health England
- Phone 0113 386 0300
- Out of hours: Phone 0114 304 9843