To apply for a taxi driver licence (including Hackney Carriage and private hire) you need to have held a full DVLA driving licence for a minimum of 2 years. You will also need to:
- Be eligible to work in the UK
- Pass a medical to Group 2 standard (for people with a driving job) with your registered doctor
- Undergo an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
- Pass a taxi driver training course
- Pass a practical driving test
Applicants can only attempt the training course three times and if failed we won't accept another application for a period of 6 months.
Applications stay valid for 6 months from the date that your DBS certificate is issued. If you do not pass and complete all of the required tests within this time, your application may be cancelled and any fees paid would not be refunded.
If you have any criminal convictions or cautions this could result in your application being refused. Please see our convictions policy for more information before you apply.
Apply for a taxi driver licence (including Hackney Carriage and private hire)
- Complete the application form and phone 01484 456868 and ask for a new driver appointment at the customer service centre
- Bring the completed application form, relevant ID's (listed on the application form) to the appointment
- Pay the fee of £151.47 (this includes a DBS check)
- DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) guidance
Clock Completing this form takes around 15 minutes
Paperclip To complete this form you will need; your DVLA licence and National insurance numberDownload form
Medical examination application for a Hackney Carriage/private hire drivers licence
- Download the form and book an appointment with your doctor to have the form completed
Paperclip Drivers must renew their medical every 5 years after the age of 40
Paperclip Drivers over the age of 65 must renew their medical every yearDownload form
- Kirklees Licensing Service
- Address Huddersfield Customer Service Centre, Civic Centre 3, Market Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2EY
- Phone 01484 456868
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org