We are temporarily suspending new driver applications so that we can develop our systems to offer you a better user experience. Please check back here for updates.
To apply for a taxi driver licence (including Hackney Carriage and private hire) you need to have held a full DVLA driving licence for a minimum of 2 years. You will also need to:
- Be eligible to work in the UK
- Pass a medical to Group 2 standard (for people with a driving job) with your registered doctor
- Apply for an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- Pass a taxi driver training course
- Pass a practical driving test
Applicants can only attempt the training course three times and if failed we won't accept another application for a period of 6 months.
Applications stay valid for 6 months from the date that your DBS certificate is issued. If you do not pass and complete all of the required tests within this time, your application may be cancelled and any fees paid would not be refunded.
If you have any criminal convictions or cautions this could result in your application being refused. Please see our convictions policy for more information before you apply.
Step 1 - Immigration check
As part of the application process to become a licensed driver an immigration check will be performed. This became law in December 2016. All new applicants, current licensed drivers and operators (including applicants born in the UK) have to provide current relevant original immigration status documents to show they are in the UK lawfully and have a right to work.
Step 2 - Driving licence check
You must check your driving licence on the GOV.UK website and save a copy of your licence summary to attach to your licence application.
Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes
Paperclip To complete this form you will need; your driving licence, your national insurance number and your postcode.
How to save your licence summary document
After entering your details to see your licence summary:
- Select the 'Share your licence information' tab
- Select the 'Get a code' button
- Select the 'Print or save a driving summary' link
- Save the document to your device, ready to upload it to your application form in Step 4 below
Step 3 - Medical check
You must have a Group 2 medical check carried out by your registered doctor. A Group 2 medical will cover all of the things needed for people with a driving job.Download form
After you've completed the medical check
You will need to bring the results of your medical check to the taxi driver training course to be checked by a Licensing Officer.
Step 4 - Apply for a taxi driver licence (including Hackney Carriage and private hire)
We are temporarily suspending new driver applications so that we can develop our systems to offer you a better user experience. Please check back here for updates. If you want to get in contact with the service you can contact them via the firstname.lastname@example.org email.
Step 5 - DBS ID check
After you have applied for your taxi driver licence and DBS check online, you will be need to have your DBS ID documents checked by our Licensing Team to finish your DBS application and allow the check to be processed by the Disclosure and Barring Service.
You will have been sent an email, confirming your new taxi driver licence application had been recieved by our Licensing Team, with instructions in it of how to book an appointment for your documents to be checked.
Step 6 - Taxi training course
After your DBS ID check appointment has been successfully completed and your DBS certificate has arrived in the post, you will need to book a place on the taxi driver training course and pass the course to continue.
- You must have received your DBS certificate in the post before booking a place on the training course. You will not be able to book onto or attend the course without it.
- You will have been sent an email, confirming that your DBS ID check appointment was successful by our Licensing Team, with instructions in it of how to book a place on our taxi driver training course.
- Applicants can only attempt the training course three times and if failed we won't accept another application for a period of 6 months.
Step 7 - Book a practical driving test
After you have passed the taxi training course, you will need to book a practical driving test to complete your taxi driver licence application. All tests are run from Flint Street, Fartown, Huddersfield, HD1 6LG.
- You must have passed your taxi training course before booking on the practical driving test. You will not be able to book onto the practical driving course if not.
- You will have been sent an email, confirming that you have passed the taxi training course by our Licensing Team, with instructions in it of how to book a practical driving test.
- Kirklees Licensing Service
- Address Flint Street Depot, Flint Street, Fartown, Huddersfield, HD1 6LG
- Phone 01484 456868
- Email email@example.com