Kirklees Council is a data controller. We collect, store, use and disclose personal data.

You have the right of access to your personal data which we hold.

What personal data is

Any information including facts and opinions and any indication of intentions, which relates to a living individual who could then be identified from that information. For example, name, address, date of birth, National Insurance number, bank account details.

Some personal data is classed as sensitive. This is information about racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health or condition, sexual life, criminal offences, proceedings and convictions. We can only collect and hold this information for specific purposes (for example equal opportunities monitoring).

Request access to personal data held by us

Download and fill in our form.

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes.

Paperclip Send this to us together with proof of your identity and your current address.

Paperclip If you are applying on someone else's behalf you must also enclose either their signed, written consent, or proof that you are legally entitled to act for them.

Download form

After you've applied

You will receive a response within 40 days of us receiving your written request.

If we do not have enough information we will contact you and ask for more details. The 40 day period of response will then begin from the day we receive sufficient information to enable a search and proof of identity and address.

Other ways to request access

You can also email us, although email is not a secure method of transmission. We will acknowledge receipt by email, but don't normally send our response by email.

Provide as much information as possible
  • Provide as much information as possible about which areas of the council you have been in touch with, plus any dates (approximate dates are fine) and names of officers if you can remember them, to ensure that you receive all the relevant documents that you require.
  • If you require recordings of telephone calls made to the council, please provide the telephone numbers you rang from, and dates if you can recall them.
  • If you require any CCTV footage, provide dates, times and locations along with a physical description of yourself including what you were wearing on the day(s) in question.
  • We will explain any jargon or abbreviations and will provide a summary sheet detailing what we have used the information for, and what information we have withheld and why (if applicable).
When we may not be able to release information

Sometimes we may not be able to release some of the information we hold about you to you. The main reasons are:

  • Personal information of a third party (if the release of documents containing your information would disclose the identity of someone else)
  • Information given in confidence (for example, references)
  • Crime and taxation (if the release of information would prejudice the prevention or detection of crime, the apprehension or prosecution of offenders, or the assessment or collection of any tax or duty)
  • National security (if national security would be compromised by the release of the information).

Occasionally your records may contain elements that it would not be appropriate for you to see (such as personal information about other individuals). Rather than withhold the whole record or document, we will redact it if we can to depersonalise or anonymise it, in which case there may be some blanked-out or covered up sections within the information you receive from us.

If we hold incorrect information

If you find incorrect information held about you then please write and tell us what is wrong and how it should be corrected.

Giving information to the right person
  • We must not, knowingly, give information to the wrong person.
  • We must do our best to ensure that the information asked for is given only to the person to whom it refers, or their authorised representative. We may therefore ask for some form of identification before we hand any information over.
  • If we are posting information we will send it to the address of the person requesting it, or their authorised representative, as shown on the form.
  • Your signature at the bottom of the form declares that you are that person requesting your own information, or authorising a representative to act on your behalf.
Releasing personal information to third parties

Personal information cannot usually be released to anyone else without your consent or knowledge. In certain circumstances a third party (specifically a government agency or law enforcement agency) can request information about you and we are obliged to give it. For example:

  • When the disclosure is for the purposes of preventing or detecting crime and to obtain your consent first would be likely to prejudice those purposes
  • Where the disclosure is required by law or by a court order.
If you ask information about another person

Your request will be turned down except in the following situations:

  • Parents can request information about their children if the children concerned are under 12 and the parent has parental responsibility.
  • The person you are asking about has given their written consent allowing us to disclose their information to you.
  • You are legally allowed to act on their behalf (for example, if you have power of attorney).
To access your child's school records

Submit your request in writing to the headteacher of the school or educational establishment that your child attends or attended. Parents have their own independent right of access to the official educational records of their children under separate education regulations.

Policies, obligations and audit