We provide services to people following a stay in hospital to help them regain their skills, confidence and independence

We also provide services to prevent admission to hospital and services to support people who have end of life care needs and wish to remain at home.

Support options

  • Reablement - is a short intensive service, delivered in the home which is offered to people with disabilities and those who are frail or recovering from an illness or injury.
  • Rapid response service - Individuals receive care and treatment in their own home following a multi disciplinary assessment, they may also have equipment provided to support care at home. For up to 5 days, to prevent admission to hospital
  • Generic Worker Service (Long Term Conditions - Provided for up to 2 weeks, working in partnership with health and social care colleagues. Providing you with a fast and efficient response with managing a long term condition and Self care help for long term conditions.

Who we provide these services for

We provide a variety of support services to a range of vulnerable people over the age of 18 years, who are Eligibility for care and support and live in Kirklees.

We provide services to people following a Care needs assessments or needs analysis undertaken by a health or social care professional.

This takes into account what you would like, your cultural and religious beliefs as well as:

  • physical disability
  • mental health (including dementia)
  • sensory impairment
  • learning disability.

Types of support provided

In conjunction with other health and social care professionals, a locality manager will be identified to work with you. They will make sure that a specific and individual package of support is developed with you. This will be set out in writing and will detail the services, your requirements and how they will be met.

We will do a risk assessment of your home to make sure it is safe for you and for our staff working with you. Your Support plan and risk assessment will be regularly reviewed.

Your support worker may support you with some or all of the following:

  • personal care: washing, dressing and supervising you when you bathe
  • assisting you to get up and to go to bed
  • basic healthcare needs, e.g. medication
  • meal preparation
  • support with therapy plan/exercise programmes
  • support with equipment you have been assessed for.

We may also provide support to enable you to access local community facilities.

We do not provide nursing care.

How much it costs

The service provided by the Short Term and Urgent Support Service is time limited and is not chargeable during this time. If you require support that goes beyond this time you may be charged. The amount you pay is based on a Financial assessment. A council officer will visit you or, if you wish, your relative or representative. They will help you complete a personal financial statement and will tell you the most you will need to pay for your services. You will get a letter confirming how much you will have to pay and how to pay this.

Adult social care self-help guide

Check if you are eligible for care and support from the council

Fill in our simple online form.

Clock Completing this form takes around 10 minutes

Complete the adult social care self-help guide

This guide will:

  • help you look at your initial care needs and abilities
  • give you information on local services which can help you
  • give you an early indication if you would be eligible for financial support towards the cost of your care needs.
  • tell you if you may benefit from completing an Adult Social Care needs assessments

Care Quality Commission

The Kirklees Council Short Term and Urgent Support Service is registered with and inspected by the Care Quality Commission. It must deliver services following legislation, regulations and standards.

Need help?
Talk to an advisor now
Stay Connected
Sign up to email alerts for healthy living