Employing a personal assistant (or PA) can give you more control over how your needs are met, receiving support in a way that you choose.
What a personal assistant does
A personal assistant is someone who is paid to help you in any aspect of your day to day life.
A personal assistant can help with the following:-
- Personal care
- Meals and food preparation
- Domestic tasks
- Memory support
- Living independently
- Social activities and shopping
- Managing money
- Work, education and learning
- Appointment support
- Transport taxis or in your own vehicle
- Pet care
Employing your own personal assistant
If you hire a personal assistant you become an employer and there are a number of responsibilities that come with this, including:
- drawing up a contract of employment
- checking and signing their time sheets
- making sure they work to their job description and the hours agreed in their contract
- putting alternative support arrangements in place when your employees take their holidays or are off work due to sickness
- ensuring up to date Employers’ Liability Insurance is in place
- processing payroll and paying your employee(s)
- issuing payslips for your employee(s)
- paying a pension contribution, where applicable
- and liaising with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to make sure you have paid the appropriate tax and submitting all HMRC monthly and annual returns.
Support with hiring a personal assistant
Some people find these responsibilities quite daunting, if this is the case, our Care navigation team can help you with information and guidance.
The organisation Skills for Care, , have information and toolkits which provide detailed information for people employing personal assistants.
GOV.UK has more information on Employing staff for the first time
Which? Elderly Care also has advice on Employing private individuals .
Where to find a personal assistant
You can visit the Connect to support. to find personal assistant provider, payroll services and agency workers.
You can also get help and advice from our Care navigation team.