Help to stay safer and more independent in your home with the help of equipment and adaptations

If you are finding it difficult to manage daily living tasks in your home because of age, illness or disability, we may be able to help by:

  • arranging for equipment to be provided to help you manage in the home you live in now;
  • adapting your home or
  • finding you a more suitable home that meets your needs

Equipment available

The sort of equipment that we can arrange for you may include:

  • a raised toilet seat
  • a shower chair
  • toilet frames
  • kitchen trolley
  • grab rails

All equipment which we recommend for you to use is loaned free of charge.

Adaptations available

We can also make adaptations, including fitting:

  • handrails
  • a stair lift or hoist
  • a level-access shower or bathing adaptations
  • a ramp

All recommended adaptations that cost less than £1000 are provided free of charge.

Recommended adaptations which cost more than £1000 are means tested (children are not means-tested) and are provided via a Disabled Facilities Grants

Referrals and assessments

Adaptations and equipment are provided following a referral and then an assessment.

Referrals into the service currently come from many sources, including Social Workers, GP’s and family/friends and self-referrals.

To arrange an assessment you need to Contact gateway to care and make a self-referral.

If, following an assessment, your home can't be adapted or if you choose to move rather than have adaptations our medical advisory team can help you find suitable housing. The first step in the process is to complete a Choose N Move application.

The Accessible Homes Team factsheets explain a client's journey through the Accessible Homes Team process, from initial referral to completion and aftercare.

Returning equipment

When equipment is no longer required, please contact Medequip to collect it. The equipment can then be cleaned and re-issued to another person.

  • Phone 01484 728970

Call charges and phone numbers

Technology to help you stay safer in the home

There are various electronic tools that can help you live independently and remain safely at home for longer.

Carephones home safety service uses telecare technologies to support people in their own home. A Carephone can offer peace of mind, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to a wide range of people.

Other equipment suppliers

A lot of equipment is widely available both on the high street and online.

  • Medequip provide the community equipment service for Kirklees Council and NHS Kirklees. 10% off retail leaflet
  • Medequip also run an Independent Living Centre in Brighouse which offers a relaxed environment where you can try out equipment in a range of room sittings before you buy. A trusted assessor is available who is a trained person who can support you in identifying the right piece of equipment to suit your needs in remaining independent.
  • Medequip also offers an online retail website Manage at home which has a range of specialist mobility aids, mobility products and equipment. You can contact customer services on 0800 910 1864 if you wish to discuss your requirements or if you prefer to order over the phone rather than on the website
  • Ask SARA helps you find useful advice and products that make daily living easier
  • Eden Mobility Huddersfield mobility aids and equipment
  • Clark and partners Huddersfield mobility aids and equipment
  • Living made easy clear, practical advice on daily living equipment.
  • Connect to Support is a website for people looking for adult social care services, advice and support. You can find everything you need to help you here, from local to national products and services, as well as links to information, specialist advice, local activities and community groups

Free equipment from Kirklees Council

Free equipment for older people and people with disability living in Kirklees these include Jar openers, Magiplugs, and Tap Turners watch the following videos to find out how they work:-

To order your free equipment Contact gateway to care.

Equipment and wheelchair loans

The NHS can provide equipment, such as walking sticks, walking frames and wheelchairs to aid mobility. These are provided on long-term loans and you can arrange this through your GP, hospital consultant or physiotherapist.

Opcare provides wheelchair provision across Calderdale and Kirklees.

Shopmobility rent mobility scooters, wheelchairs and walkers. This service is provided by Age UK Calderdale & Kirklees.