Start is a programme for children and young people in Kirklees who are above a healthy weight.
Start combines physical activity, healthy eating and behaviour change to enable children to live a healthier lifestyle.
What Start includes
Start offers a range of services to support children and their families including:
- Free 1 to 1 motivational appointments tailored to support and help your child and family to engage in a more active and healthy lifestyle
- Access to fun physical activity community based sessions
- Appointments available at two centrally located sites - Huddersfield Leisure Centre, and Dewsbury Sports Centre
- Free KAL card offering subsidised prices and discounts on a range of activities including swimming and teen gym
- The opportunity to join Ready Steady Go, an 8 week healthy family lifestyle programme
To join Start, children and young people must be:
- Aged between 5 and 16 years old and above a healthy weight
- Resident in Kirklees, or registered to a Kirklees GP
- Motivated and compliant to taking part with a view to making lifestyle changes
The Start weight management programme is fully inclusive to those with a disability.
Start also provides support and advice for children aged 2-5 years, please contact us for more information.
If you are unsure if your child is above a healthy weight, use the BMI healthy weight calculator . You can also talk to your School Nurse or GP.
Book an appointment or find out more
Visit Change4Life for great tips, ideas and resources to support your family's journey towards a healthier lifestyle.