Your carers assessment may identify that you need a break from caring from time to time. Equally, the person you care for may also want to have a break without you.

Replacement care and respite care

Replacement care is designed to replace the care that you, as a carer, would normally be giving the person you care for. It may be needed so you can look after your own health and wellbeing, and to take a break from caring. For example, it may be that regular replacement overnight care is needed so you can catch up on your own sleep.

In certain situations, respite (temporary) care may be provided by Kirklees Council after a carers assessment see Care needs assessment or after the person you care for has had an assessment. You can use the Community directory to find local carers services. You can also visit Connect to support - respite to find a local respite service.

Breaks for carers

After your carer's assessment, you may agree with the Council that you need a break as part of your support plan see Support plans and reviews. If the council has agreed to fund the breaks in your care plan, you should be able to choose how you can get your break.

The Shared Lives Service can provide family carers with a regular break from caring it is a flexible and unique arrangement offering support from a few hours a week - a session, a short break or providing a long-term home for someone.

Kirklees Passport is a council run discount scheme, with a great range of discounts on many different activities and services.

Respite personal budget

As part of the assessment process you will be informed if you are eligible for respite care. If you are eligible you will be allocated a number of days which will be calculated as a personal budget.

As with your personal budget for your day to day support needs, you can choose how you would like to access your respite budget; this could be as a direct payment, virtual budget or a mixed approach. The option you take will depend on how you would like to use your respite budget.

For example, you may choose to:

  • hire a care worker through an agency so you can go on a shopping trip. Visit Connect to support - home care services to find a local home care service.
  • use the direct payment to pay for a supported holiday for both you and the person you care for.
  • residential or nursing care – this is where the person you're looking after goes for a short stay in a residential or nursing home. If you can, visit the care or nursing home beforehand so you can see what it's like. See Care homes for details of Kirklees Council care homes and residential care.
  • day care – this is where the person you're looking after goes to a day centre or takes part in activities away from home. See Day opportunities.
  • Respite care for adults with a learning disability

If the replacement care provided is essentially a Home care service for the person needing care and allows you to take a break, it should be considered a service provided to the cared for person and should therefore be charged to them, not you as the carer.

Benevolent funds or charity funding

You may be able to get help with the cost of going on holiday – either alone or with the person you care for – from a charity or benevolent fund. Your social worker, GP, health visitor or Carers Count can give you more information on local benevolent funds and other possible sources of funding.

Saga Respite for Carers Trust provides a limited number of free holidays each year for carers over the age of 50 and the people they look after.